We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road conditions

Which Payson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florence az
3 posts
Save Topic
road conditions

what are the road conditions going up into payson for thursday thre saturday? are there any restrictions going over the passes. how high are the passes?

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road conditions

Passes? Currently the roads are all clear. The extended forecast calls for a slight chance of precipitation later this week with snow above 7000 feet. Payson is not that high

florence az
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road conditions

thank you. I was worried that I would get stuck in some snow or icy roads. There are no mountain passes I need to drive thru?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road conditions

If you are driving from Florence, the typical route is up Hwy 87. From Fountain Hills to Payson it has a long ascent for about 50 miles but no passes. If you are driving through Globe on Hwy 188 to Hwy 87, the driving situation is the same, a long ascent after passing Lake Roosevelt. The better is route is through Mesa and up Hwy 87 as it is a multi-lane controlled access highway most of the distance between Fountain Hills and Payson.

florence az
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: road conditions

thank you

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road conditions

The ride up 87 from Mesa/Fountain Hills area to Payson is just a beautiful ride. It's one of our favorites.

Reply to: road conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted