We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

cary, nc
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

I'll be in Phoenix for 3 days in early June with my daughter. We are thinking of the Hilton Garden Inn downtown. Is it a safe area, decent parking, close to places to eat? Thanks for any suggestions.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

If this place is on central Av, there is street construction for some light rail, been going on for a long time. I would recommend Scottsdale, which is the next city over.

USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

Not only is there construction, but downtown is the hottest area with all that concrete. In summer, I'd opt for another area. You can usually get good deals at the resorts in summer -- prices drop considerably when it gets hot!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
508 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

In addition to the issues pointed out by the previous posters, Phoenix's downtown tends to be pretty quiet after the workday - unless there's a sporting event or concert. Some restaurants may be open in the evening, but many others close early. Unless you have a reason to stay downtown, you would probably feel safer and find more to do elsewhere in town.

cary, nc
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

Thanks for all the info, I think we'll look in Scottsdale.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It is a very nice property. I see no reason to consider the area unsafe. The problems mentioned concerning contruction are true but more of an inconvenience than anything which would stop you from staying there. I do agree that Scottsdale, if near the "Old Town" (Indian School and Scottsdale Rd), offers more dining options and shopping.

cary, nc
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

Thanks, we are now looking at Scottsdale for a few nights then maybe the Hilton.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

If you decide on the HIlton shoot me a line, I can give you some good tips on downtown dining. There are many great restaurants in the area, just not walkable like scottsdale.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

We stayed at the Clarendon Hotel & Suites which is just down the road from the Hilton and we asked if we could eat on Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend at the Hilton and the restaurant was closed for the holidays except for guests' breakfast and room service. The restaurant at the Clarendon was closed owing to water damage and so we went down Central Ave to Alexi's and had a very enjoyable meal. There is also a place called Fez on Central Ave but it is more of a cocktail lounge with food (in my opinion) and half of the clientelle were same gender couples so maybe a favourite for the gay crowd. I found the music loud and not very appealling but I'm an old grouch so expect it would be great for the under 30s!

Further down Central Ave is Durant's (steakhouse style) and Wild Thaiger (Thai) but would need to drive rather than walk.

Told the George and Dragon Pub up Central Ave is good but coming from Somerset in UK we have enough pubs at home!

Best thing about the area was there is a nearby Safeways and you can buy stuff and have it in the room if you like. You may even have a microwave at the Hilton as well as a fridge.

9. Re: Hilton Garden Inn downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Phoenix