We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
4 posts
Save Topic
Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

Hello all,

First time poster. Lots of great post and information here. Looking for some help. My wife and I are coming to Phoenix the weekend of August 24 for a concert at US Airways arena. This is my first time in Phoenix (other than airport layovers).

We were planning to spend Friday night in the Phoenix area and travel to Sedona for a spa day on Saturday, then I noticed the Diamondbacks are in town against my hometown team the Cubs. Needless to say I may pitch staying in town on Saturday. We are not the biggest baseball fans in the world, but we both love taking in a game at a great ballbark. My questions are:

1) Is Sedona worth the drive and if so what are some spas you would recommend (I'm thinking couples massage)? We would be staying one night (Satuday the 25th).

2) What do you suggest as far as purchasing tickets for the Diamondbacks game? What are our chances of getting walk up tickets the day of the games (I hear the Cubs are a popular draw there), either via the ticket window or from a scalper? Is scalping legal outside the ballpark? Or should we just buy from the diamondbacks website? Would we have a better chance of getting tickets to the Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon game?

3) Is it worth pushing our return flight back a couple hours (we live in Vegas, about an hour away flight time so not much trouble there) if we could go to Sedona on Saturday and make the game on Sunday? I'm concerned about the heat on a Sunday afternoon game in August?

4) Also any hotel suggestions for Phoenix would be much appreciated. I am going to check out what's available and post back some of the hotels I am considering. We tend to stick to major chains 3 star or higher.

We will be renting a car, if that makes any difference.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

Hi, we were there recently and my husband is a big baseball fan. His recommendation for tickets against the Cubs would be to get them in advance. Check out the ticket marketplace on the Diamondbacks website. The bullpen reserves are a great value. We did notice many scalpers out front when we were there. don't know how good of a deal they are there. I would not worry about the heat for the game as the a/c there is amazing. We were there when it was about 112 degrees and even with the top open the a/c was cranked and felt like about 70!

I don't know about spas in Sedona. it is a very very beautiful and romantic place I think a night there would be ideal although a weekend would be great! I would leave Phoenix very early as it is a little bit of a drive. Check into one of the beautiful b&b's ,see the town, have your couple message, have a nice dinner and leave the following morning after breakfast and head back down to Phoenix for your game I think a Sunday game would be easier to get tickets for.

I can't give you any hotel suggetions in downtown Phoenix, but I would look into Scottsdale area at it is closer to central Phoenix. I heard from a couple we met that the Marriott Camelback is nice. We stayed at Marriott Canyon Villas which was a great family resort. My other recommendation for a hotel for a couple would be the JW Marriott at Desert Ridge its very nice. The only draw back there would be the location its in north Phoenix. But if you have a car its not a bad drive into town,fairly easy. Hope that helps!

Las Vegas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

Thank you so much. This is some great info! I will take your advice and buy our tickets early. Hope we can get bullpen reserve. We won't skip Sedona on Saturday. And the hotel sounds great. I couldn't have written a better itinerary. Thanks again for all your help.

phoenix
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

1) Yes...No recommendations on spas though.

2) Stubhub, through the link on this site, or the D backs official website. Day of the game walkup tickets at the window are not going to be prime. The Cubs are always a hot ticket here.

Scalping is legal in AZ. The 'official' spot @ the ballpark is at 5TH St. & Jackson, on the N.E cor? But scalpers will be all around the ballpark. You can get great deals, fair deals, or totally burned by counterfeit tickets. It's a gamble.

3) It's always about 72 degrees @ Chase Field. Roof open, or closed. Don't worry whatsoever about the heat of a day game.

4) The Hyatt in downtown Phx.. 3 blocks from the ballpark. Possibly Durant's for supper. A legendary local Steakhouse, a few miles from the Hyatt.

Charlton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express about a 15 minute walk from Chase Field. It was in the middle of a renovation. New paint, new carpet, HD TVs. As with all HIEs, nice breakfast and great pillows.

5. Re: Diamondbacks and concert - hotel and ticket suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 01:17