We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for out of state road trip

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car for out of state road trip

Hey everyone...

Does anyone know if there is any rental companies that allow out of state travel with unlimited mileage? I just checked Enterprise and they are only allowing 150 miles per day out of state.

We are thinking of doing a 2-3 week road trip up to Seattle and back through Idaho and such or out to Missouri and back through Denver or Texas, but we can only do it if we're renting a car.

Any thoughts?

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

Avis has unlimited mileage from my experience. I live locally and rent from the one at the Doubletree PV Resort on Scottsdale Rd. In over 13 years i have had terrific service from this family owned franchise. Call 480-947-7227 and ask for Kevin (owner).

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

What IS the rule on that - you can only go to adjacent states or something, so CA and NV would be ok, but not as far as you want to go?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

Try Thrifty. We just got a 7 day rental, midsize (Chrusler Sebring) for $129. The only limitation on mileage with Thrifty is if you take it out of the country. We put on over 2,000 miles in the 7 days.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

With unlimited mileage I thought you could drive anywhere.

We have driven from Seattle to Canada across on a ferry to

Vancouver Island and then to Oregon.

Last summer we rented from Hertz and drove in California and

Oregon. One year we rented our car in Idaho Falls, Idaho, drove

to Glacier Nat'l Park and back down to Yellowstone and Tetons.

Left the car in Jackson Hole.

I'd say check with the car company, but there shouldn't be a

problem. Good luck and safe travels.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

I've never had a problem with unlimited mileage cars, and I've driven round trips from California to Washington; Utah to Montana; and Montana to Alberta and British Columbia and back. Rentals have been with Avis, National and Thrifty.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

Dollar, Budget, Hertz and Avis have unlimited mileage with unlimited states when rented in AZ. Thrifty is very sketchy about this: they say that the mileage must be within reason although no figure is ever given and they will ask you where you plan on going when you pick up the car. I've taken a Thrifty car to LA but would not try for much further. Enterprise in Phoenix or Tucson is technically unlimited mileage when traveling within the state and charges a ridiculous mileage rate outside the state. They also limit the states you can go to (any state the borders AZ including CO) and your car will be towed if you're pulled over outside of these states.

I've always found Dollar and Budget to be the cheapest and most reliable. I've driven Budget cars to Montana and back, Austin and back, and Houston and back, all from Tucson, plus Cleveland to Vermont and back, and have never had a word uttered regarding the mileage upon returning. I've also been pulled over in Texas on two of these trips (always in Texas!) and had no issues with the cops there with having a rental car out of state.

hth

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

I'm not sure where you are in Scottsdale, but I rent cars for out of state driving trips almost every summer. I have always used Budget, and in particular the Budget kiosk at the Fry's supermarket on Shea and the 101 Freeway. I think the address is technically on 90th Street. If you check there, make sure you are talking to the guy who runs it. His name is Craig and he's always been great for me. Doesn't play any games and always gets me the best rates available. And because you are renting from a non-airport location, you don't end up paying the super-high taxes and fees that the airport locations have to charge.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

When I rented from Thrifty, they were not at all "sketchy" about mileage. The terms clearly said unlimited within the US and, I believe 150 per day if you were going into Mexico or Canada.

Our trip was from Tucson to San Jose, CA, which was 880 miles each way.

Also, I had checked all of the websites and Thrifty was the cheapest. If you search for fares online, make sure you check the box that says you live in the area, that you are not arriving by plane. That eliminates some taxes.

phoenix
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

I generally rent SUV's for all my out of town trips, and have noticed mileage limitations slowly cropping up in the T & C ( fine print ) @ all the major car rental companies, except Hertz.

A few years ago, unlimited miles with no restrictions on US travel was the norm. It seems to me as if this is changing now.

10. Re: Renting a car for out of state road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:17