We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in June ?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
long island
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in June ?

We're planning a trip to the Phoenix area at the end of May/beginning of June 2008. One of the reviews on the timeshare website said there are huge bugs that time of year in the area. Folks we've spoken to who have been there around then didn't recall anything of the sort. Who's right ?

phoenix
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in June ?

it depends on where your staying. i live downtown and have never seen a large bug in my apt or even in our building. if your in the high desert or ouskirts you can have scorps and have seen some tarantulas but again those were out in the desert. my girlfriend has a major bug phobia so that was one of the reasons we moved out here.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in June ?

Not sure what the review you mention was talking about. I've lived in Arizona for over 30 years and never encountered "huge bugs."

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in June ?

The only 'huge bug' I've ever encountered is the Palo Verde Beetle - but I haven't seen one in the city for years. They may still be out in the desert but I'm sure you won't have a problem in Phoenix proper.

Here's what they look like -

phoenix.about.com/library/blpaloverdebug.htm

long island
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in June ?

Since I was getting diifent info from different people, I called the resort in Scottsdale and they corroborated that there ARE large bugs like cockroaches that time of year.

Maybe you just don't get them in Phoenix ?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in June ?

Maybe you should believe people who live here? The environment in Scottsdale is the same as Phoeneix .... and Tucson. And several of us have told you that we don't have bugs like that. Have NO idea what the resort is talking about. It is certainly not anything to be concerned about.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in June ?

According to my geography lesson plans (teacher here) , I thought Scottsdale was right next to Phoenix and has the same climate and flora/fauna.

The Palo Verde Borer Beetle is not a cockroach. Also there are cicadas.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs in June ?

Yeah, it does sound like a palo verde beetle. They're metallic green, less than an inch long. I've seen a lot of them this year here in Tucson, but never in Phoenix. Maybe more in the desert.

Or it could be a darkling beetle.

Both are totally harmless though. I've heard of palo verde beetles pincing dogs when they try to eat them. And they're stupid, so they fly into people sometimes outdoors, especially near the lights.

Not exactly cockroaches and nothing to worry about.

When there's a really good rain in the winter, we also get HUGE grasshoppers in the spring. But, again, these are totally harmless.

long island
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs in June ?

Well, thank you all. you've certainly laid my ( and more importantly my wife's ) mind to rest. We'll be there late May. Thanks again to all who responded.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
211 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs in June ?

It does depend on what area you live in. I lived in the city and moved to the outskirts in a new development in the NW area and I have seen different insects I have never seen before.Solfuguids, scorpions,beetles,moths on steroids,centipedes ,vinegaroons etc.

I don't think they are reffering to cicadas as those come during the monsoon season which is july and august. It is probably those beetles, but I rarely see them. And I rarely see a bunch of them.

I bet they are talking about our crickets, bigger than the average cricket and light brown.They are always in large numbers and

people that come here from different places are amazed at how big our crickets are. And they are harmless.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs in June ?

People on the east coast think of "bugs" as billions of terroristic mosquitoes and other evildoers who attack your skin every second of the day and night. This simply does not exist or happen in Arizona. Our bugs are things you only very rarely encounter. But when you do, it's a doozy .Why?

Well... the biggest "bugs" I've encountered during my lifetime spent in Arizona are extremely hairly, massive.... tarantulas.

Dont mean to freak you out but they are a part of our desert landscape. I've never seen one in Phoenix, although I live downtown so I never would. Seen many in rural Tucson where I grew up.

Scorpions are a reality too, of course. And rattlers. One of 'em just bit Mrs Tennessee while she was staying at one of Tucson's top resorts. Google it if you don't believe me!