We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental at PHX

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
car rental at PHX

Anybody rent a car at PHX lately?

I just checked the price for a two week rental (pick up at PHX, drop off at LAS) for about $880. However, taxes and other fees added up to be ~$370. Here is the details:

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

Phx City Ord. G-4530 4.50 Usd/day $67.50

Concession Recoup Fee 11.11 % $97.77

Facility Maintenance Fee .77/day $11.55

Maricopa County Surcharge $33.97

Arizona Surcharge 5 % $52.26

Sales Tax (10.30%) $108.85

Subtotal $371.90

This is getting ridiculous (Concession recoup fee? what a joke). I don't remember seeing these charges a few months ago. are they new? I would appreciate any suggestion for a better way to rent a car at PHX.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental at PHX

They seem to have skyrocketed when the new rental car center was completed, but I also think it has to do with the new tax zone that's building all of the new spring training stadiums in Maricopa County.

The only way to get around it is to take a bus to another rental car place. It depends on how cheap you are, I guess, but it will often save you up to $100. I looked at it a while ago (I'm that cheap, but have no reason to rent in PHX) and there are a couple of places in Downtown Phoenix that you can rent from, but not all do one-way rentals. You can also try the Downtown Tempe or even Downtown Mesa areas, as there's a relatively frequent public bus running between all of these places and Sky Harbor Airport. Or you can take a shuttle (about $20) to one of them.

The other alternative here is to drive back to Phoenix and fly to LA. It's a very popular route and you can often get a ticket for $60 or so. All day drive, but it will certainly save you some money.

hth

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental at PHX

Airport rentals are always 15% more than in city. I always use priceline when renting a car especially from an airport local. And because you are dropping it off at a different location they are charging you the Concession Recoup fee for the recovery of the vehicle from the other location. If you are staying at a hotel in Phx are I suggest seeing if you can take a shuttle (super shuttle is best) to the hotel then renting the car from the hotel or nearby. Enterprise will "pick you up" from the hotel location or so their logo states.

Face it everything is going up and there is nothing LEGAL we can do about it LOL!

Dartmouth, NS
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental at PHX

I think i got a pretty good deal. I booked through Avis at PHX. 9 days, full size car, with GPS for $385 taxes in.

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental at PHX

thanks all for the reply.

A little over a month ago, exactly the same rental costed a little over $600 with about $100 being tax/fees. A month later, the base price jumped to over $800 with nearly $400 taxes and fees. that is incredible. I don't know any other airport charges this much taxes/fees for a rental car. This has to be interpreted as extremely unfriendly towards tourists. just have to remember to avoid PHX next time.

The difference between dropping off at PHX and LAS is actually very small. The concession recoup fee shows up either way. Some rental company has additonal drop charge of $100, on top of those listed above. However, droping off at LAS excludes me the chance to use either Priceline or Hotwire to get a better deal, since they don't offer one way rental.

Since I won't stay in PHX, how about renting a car for one day driving to a different city, then swap car there for the rest of the trip? i will drive towards GC South, is Sedona a good place to do a swap?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental at PHX

You could always fly into Tucson. Rental cars are typically much cheaper and flights are only a little more (although usually a connection). But the alternative for the Grand Canyon is typically Las Vegas. I don't particularly like the airport there, but it should work better for the costs.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental at PHX

I looked into a airport rental for August and it is much cheaper to go off site for a rental. I also looked into a one way from Phx to Denver and got hit with a large "recoup" fee. Not as bad going the other way. Must be Phoenix, my hometown.

My suggestion is go off site. There is a large auto mall in Tempe which should have several rental agencies. Cab shouldn't cost much to get you there.

BTW SEA-TAC airport is bad as well. Renters beware!

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
840 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental at PHX

Nearly every airport car rental facility has extremely high taxes. I think I read that ABQ has the highest in the country. PHX is about 5th down the list...

At any rate, I rent cars quite a bit for work (about twice a month), and I always use an off-airport Hertz location in Ahwatukee, on Elliot just west of I-10. The taxes typically make up $5-8 of my rental (my company has a corporate rate for a mid-size either $40 or $45 depending on length and pickup day).

You could easily take a shuttle or taxi out to one of these off-airport locations. For such a long rental, the money saved may be worth the $10-20 for the shuttle. If there are a few in your group, one person can go, get the car, while the others claim luggage, and the person goes back to pick up the rest (and the bags).

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental at PHX

just want to give everybody an update of my research on this subject.

It is a rampant problem spreading across the country. Local government found rental car taxes are convenient sources of income to fund local projects such as stadium, art center,...etc, hitting on travelers that cannot vote locally. There is a pending law in the congress to stop such predatory behavior. For further reading:

www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1440.html

For travelers, it is difficult to avoid such taxes. Getting off-airport rentals may or may not help. Many rental companies raise the base price for off-airport rental so the total price is about the same. I did find Avis at Sears Auto Center, 10 min. away, is about $180 cheaper than PHX, but that is not always the case.

The most effective way to lower the tax/fees, not surprisingly, is to start with a lower base rate since it is based on percentage. There are many coupons/discount codes available online so be sure to use one. The lowest base rate is available either (1) well in advance or (2) in the last few days. So book as early as possible once your schedule is set, it can be cancelled without any penalty. Otherwise, delay for as long as you can til the last day and check rental car company web site for last minuute deal (there are plenty). you can find such deals using Priceline but they don't do one way. For example, the same $1200-$1300 15days rental I was quoted is on sale for $400 (taxes included) this week at PHX.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental at PHX

I've suggested on the board to take a $15 taxi ride to North Scottsdale Road to Hertz Local Edition and rent from there. If you are renting two weeks, you will save alot of money. Only bad thing is the office, like most off site rental locations, are open during business hours and very limited on the weekend.

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental at PHX

Hi,TC

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked several Hertz off-airport locations including a few located on North Scottsdale road. Different locations give different quotes, ranging from ~$40 to ~$100 in saving for my rental. The final price is all within ~$100 of what I can get at airport from various rental companies. Also, the off airport Hertz locations I checked don't provide SUV. Others don't provide one-way rental. so the choices are limited if one wants one-way SUV.

The price changes daily so I will check periodically til the travel date.