We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

Maryland
Level Contributor
65 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

will be in Phoenix for 4 days next week w/ my 13 yr old son for skateboarding championships.....we will be checking out as many skate parks as possible but wondered if a day trip to Mexico is far and/ or worthwhile? Not for skateboarding, just for the sights, um to see another country, I guess. Do we need a passport? Any skateboarders out there that want to recommend some awesome skate spots near Peoria? Thanks!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

There have been a few posts recently about going to border towns in Mexico.

It is not a safe place right now as there is quite a bit of drug related violence. I would not take my 13 year old there.

Save a Mexico trip for a time you can fly to one of the more tourist areas further into Mexico

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

I agree - don't bother.

Ah, skate parks. How I remember those days with my son! There were only a few when he was skating. Paradise Valley was his favorite. I don't know of any in Peoria, but there are two in Glendale - Sk8 Court and X-Court. There's a good one in McDowell Ranch in Scottsdale, too.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

I don't think a day trip is worth it from Phoenix either. It would be quickest to go through Nogales, and that's a 3-or-so-hour drive from Phoenix. You could go, park, have lunch, shop a little, walk back over and drive back. That's really all you'd have time for but that's also really all there is to do.

You don't need a passport as such, but you do need government-issued photo ID and proof of citizenship, like a birth certificate, both of which are satisfied with a passport. In your son's case (under 18), only proof of citizenship is required. They'll also likely grill him about his relationship to you.

As far as the violence, there's a drug cartel power war going on in border towns and in northern Mexico. There's always been violence, but it seems to have gotten worse lately. No tourists have been killed and they don't seem to be targeting tourists, but it seems like a better idea to avoid traveling there only to avoid getting caught in any crossfire.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

I agree with what everyone else said. If you really want a day trip, though, you could head to Sedona and take a jeep tour. It's not out of the country, but it would be fun to do, and Sedona is gorgeous. Have a great trip, and good luck to your son!

Oh, and I don't know about skate parks in Peoria, but there is one near me on 40th Street, 1/2 mile north of Bell Road.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

P.S. Like your screen name. I have horses, too, and a good friend of mine used to train and show appys.

Arizona
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

Instead of a few hours in a dusty tourist-trap border town (the best you'll be able to find around here) in Mexico, you ought to drive up to the Grand Canyon. Maybe your 13 year old is not impressed, but if you're coming all the way from Maryland....

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

Skip going to mexico. They carge US tourist prices and it won't be worth your time and money. Plus if you have a rental car you will not be able to cross the border without specific insurance from them for going into Mexico if they allow it.

8. Re: Phoenix to Mexico/daytrip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 13:21