We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton
1 post
Save Topic
"Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

Hi,

A couple years ago when I was in Maui I saved a bunch of money by renting a "used" car rather than a brand new one from one of the big car companies.

The car was a bit rough around the edges, but I wasn't trying to impress anyone, so it was perfect: ran great and cost a lot less and I actually found it less stressful since I didn't worry about getting rung up for a minor scratch.

In Canada we have places called "Rent a Wreck" that do this type of thing, but I can't seem to find any used or second hand car rentals for the Phoenix area.

Does anyone know of these type of car rentals in Phoenix or area?

Thanks a lot for any useful information!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

It's one thing to not care about your image as you drive around in a rental vehicle. The other thing to consider though is the reliability of the vehicle. If you're just driving around the city in PHX then it's no big deal. But Arizona is a huge state with long distances of open highways (often deserted or lightly traveled) between destinations. The point is, if you break down, it can be a long time, and sometimes you'll be out of cell phone range, before you get assistance. That can spoil your vacation in a hurry.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

"Rent-A-Wreck" is a silly but easy-to-remember name for a large car rental company that has been in business for about 40 years, RedRox. Contrary to what the name says, they do not really rent "wrecks", their fleets are slightly used vehicles with an average age of about 1-3 years, rather than less than one year old, as the cars at Hertz might be. Their cars, trucks and vans are well maintained and one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Rent-A-Wreck vehicle and a rental vehicle from any other big company.

Unfortunately, Jon, they do not have an office in Arizona :-(

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

You could try: www.almostnewcarrentals.com

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

HB,

I'm familiar with the company and it's competition in the market. I also subscribe to the economic concept that 'you get what you pay for'. When I'm vacationing, the last thing I want to worry about is the reliability of the transportation that I'm renting. I prefer to pay for something better and not worry about potential problems.

Aside from that, we have seen that the rental car market in the PHX area is both competetive and volatile. Prices tend to be all over the place and high taxes add to the confusion. Visitors need to shop all of their options to determine the best value for their particular needs and time frame. What works for someone in November may be entirely different in January, and unfortunately we can't even depend on a company to provide the same service, prices or fleet from month to month.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

I believe in theory the idea of renting a car 1-3 years old as long as it is reliable.

My brother in law rented a wreck in Phoenix many years ago. The car had a faulty battery which turned into a nightmare and an almost missed flight. The company was slow to help. They did not cover repairs done in an emergency.

Unfortunately i also am swayed to the big names for this reason.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
419 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

I could have sworn Rent-a-Wreck had an office in Coolidge or somewhere down there as of about two years ago, but now the closest offices are in the booming metropolises of St. George, UT and Barstow, CA. Wonder who's renting cars en masse there?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

Payless and Fox are your closest choices at Sky Harbor. But I agree with the others completely. I always rent from the big guys because there are a lot of stories of the smaller guys being cheaper, but charging fees for various violations of small print or perceived "damage" to the car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

I just rented a mini suv from Auto Europe and I saved heaps. I got a mini suv for 9 days with full insurance cover for $356 and picked it up from Sky Harbour. Someone mentioned it on this forum ages ago. Yes it's a Europeon site, but I didn't have any problems at all and saved so much. It's the insurance that gets you at the pick up point. Now, if you have no intention of getting insurance, then you will probably find cheaper.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

Are you sure it was $ 356,-- and not € 356,-- ?

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: "Rent a Wreck" Style Car Rentals?

I just booked a Ford Focus with Auto Europe for $117 USD for 3 days at Phoenix. This booking was made 3 days before the arrival date and after every domestic quote was over $255 or sold out. If things go bad, I'll update here.