We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WA
2 posts
Save Topic
Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

We will be going to Phoenix in 2 weeks, in hopes of finding a 2nd second home, which we intend to rent out when we are not using it. Given the unsteady economy, we would be looking for something not very expensive (actually that is why we are looking in Phoenix area...there are a lot of homes on the market right now )

My realtor has selected Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe as areas to look in.

Which of those areas seems to have more of a tourist draw? When tourists come there, do they seem to want to stay near the bigger cities, or get away from the city a bit?

I hesitate to look for the kind of place I would necessarilly be drawn to, as I don't care for cities at all...so I am trying to figure out which areas tourists seem to be drawn to?

I can add Queen Creek to the searches, but wonder if that is getting too far away for the kinds of things tourists are looking for...

Suggestions? Advice please? I have never been to Phoenix, and am trying to narrow down which areas to look in.

Thanks

Joyce

Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

If I understand your question...People come to Phoenix mainly visit areas In Phoenix or Scottsdale. These areas are spread out some it is not the type of city you may be thinking of...Meas,Chandler Gilbert are areas which is mainly families and not close to any attractions or any of the stadiums Queen Creek is way out.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

I am certainly no expert in this area, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I would suggest the Tempe area.

Why? It is very conveniently located, you have Mill Ave. in Tempe which is a very fun area to spend some time. There's the Tempe Town Lake, where they hold lots of different festivals, events, concerts, etc. throughout the year. You're close enough to Scottsdale to enjoy all that is available there, you're close enough to the three major freeways in the East Valley (101, 202 & 60...and even the I-10) which will get you quickly to anywhere else in the valley. You're close enough to the airport, but not so close that planes landing and taking off will be a noise issue. It's a much more "recognized" city name, then say, Gilbert.

Gilbert = families. Lots of master-planned communities with newer homes, shopping.

Mesa = old. I live in Mesa and I love it...but other than the Cubs at Hohokam in March, not too many "touristy" things in Mesa. Downtown is cute, but not very busy.

Chandler = ??? I don't know how I would describe Chandler? Worked in Chandler for 7 years. A lot of industrial parks and large corporations, and as of lately, a lot of new buildings being constructed, but being left empty for months. A mix of older and newer homes.

Just my two cents...have fun looking!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

We have a second home that we rent out just during high season so I know what you are looking for. You should think like a tourist and look for amenities such as a pool or a community pool, a spa for cool winter nights, lots of restaurants close by. We have a place in Fountain Hills which is small but only 15 -20 min to Scottsdale. Since you are not a city person you could consider Cave Creek or Carefree which are just north of Scottsdale but very fun with a real desert atmosphere. Troon area is very beautiful but is not as affordable. I agree that Gilbert, Mesa, etc are not tourist destinations. Keep in mind that some areas are cheap for a reason.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

I would suggest Tempe because it's a pretty central location. It borders Phoenix and Scottsdale, which are the more popular areas to visit.

toronto on
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

.......we have an investment property in Mesa. Condo/townhouse, pools/hot tubs, gated community, turnkey.......eliminates maintenance. Within walking distance to grocery store/pharmacy and a few restraunts. 20 minutes from the airport, 15 minutes to Tempe, 2o minutes to Scottsdale, 40 minutes to Cavecreek/Carefree, 50 minutes to Glendale to the stadium/rink, 50 minutes to downtown Phoenix stadium

Most people that rent our home come for the golf.....many spectacular natural desert courses near by. 20 minutes to Salt River tubing.

Hwys 101, 202 and 60 are easily accessible

Oh yes and Sedona is 2 hours away.

Love the East Valley.....Mcdowell Mountains!

Happy hunting!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

Of the areas you mention, only Tempe would be a tourist destination. Definitely not Mesa except perhaps for the big active living community there. I would avoid the areas of Tempe with large student populations.

WA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

Thank you soooooo much, that really helps a lot

Joyce

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

While Tempe may be the biggest tourist destination of your list, the city has some areas (especially in the south), bordering Chandler and Ahwatukee, that are far from the tourist haven. The area between Guadalupe and Ray Rd/I-10 and the 101 (mostly) is still Tempe, yet getting to Tempe Town Lake or Mill Ave from there can be a challenge. It is difficult to tell where Tempe ends and Chandler begins, unless you are really looking for the, "Welcome to xxx," signs.

I myself live in Chandler, and I like the atmosphere there. While there are some large corporations (Intel, Orbital, Motorola, etc), the city is still developing its downtown area and Tumbleweed Park, as well as a very nice pathway along the Consolidated Canal.

Basically, I think if you get the right neighborhood anywhere, with easy access to freeways, you should be good.

9. Re: Where are the tourist "hot spots" in Phoenix area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 22:17