We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper Restaurants Near Popular Attractions?

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper Restaurants Near Popular Attractions?

We're planning a possible trip to Phoenix this summer. I know, summer's not the best time, but our son is thinking about moving there, and we may end up helping him move and doing some sightseeing while we're there.

My question is, what are some less expensive but fun and maybe "different" restaurants near some of the popular attractions (see below)? I don't mean fast food, just not very expensive. I'm starting with 3 places we'd like to visit:

South Mountain Park Scenic Drive

Desert Botanical Garden (planning to go in the evening)

Heard Museum

Any recommendations for restaurants nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
South Mountain Park
South Mountain Park
1,117 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,354 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
phoenix
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper Restaurants Near Popular Attractions?

I can speak to the Heard Museum. For a 50s style diner with great burgers, try Lenny's burger shop at Central and Thomas. For Thai, there is Thai hut (great food, but not much atmosphere) or Wild Thaiger (a little higher end). If you can get a reservation in advance, there is a great local spot that serves quality pizza is an historic home, called CIBO. For delicious Mexican, try Mi Patio. All are within a couple miles of the Heard. Have a great trip.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper Restaurants Near Popular Attractions?

There's quite a bit near the Desert Botanical Garden--

* downtown Tempe/Mill Ave (just take Galvin Pky down to Van Buren, follow it West and it turns into Mill). There's a ton of places here that could work, depends on what type of food you're looking for.

* The Chinese Cultural Center--some great and inexpensive Chinese food, over near 44th St/Van Buren

* Honey Bear's BBQ--the best BBQ in the Phoenix area. Across from the main post office, on Van Buren around where 50th St would be. VERY reasonably priced.

* Phoenix House of Pizza and Subs--on the NW Corner of 48th St/Van Buren, great pizza and wings (haven't yet had a sub), and they have great lunch specials. It looks a bit rough from the outside, but is fine inside...I've been for lunch many times

* Stockyards Restaurant: on Washington between 48th St and the Red Mountain (AZ 202) overpass (a bit on the pricey side).

You could even be close enough to go into old town Scottsdale, and I'm sure one of the Scottsdale experts can chime in with recommendations there. I always go for the old standby, Dos Gringos, but it has been years, and in summer may not be a good idea (mostly outside).

Mentioned in this post
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,354 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch
The Scottsdale Resort at...
1,878 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
3. Re: Cheaper Restaurants Near Popular Attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 06:19