We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January - long weekend in Phoenix?

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
918 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
January - long weekend in Phoenix?

My son has a four day weekend in January over the King holiday weekend. We are looking to get away somewhere warm for a long weekend. Wondering if Phoenix is our best choice versus South Florida?

We can get a late afternoon non-stop out of Indy to Phoenix, getting in at 7:30 p.m. local time Friday night and can stay until Tuesday morning.

How warm would it likely be? Is it warm enough to hang around a pool?

Any thoughts on a resort? My son is 10 - just the two of us - golf not important.

Thanks.

Scottsdale AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

January can be iffy here - sometimes sunny and warm days in the 70s - sometimes overcast and downright cool in the 50s for daytime highs - nightimes will be cool mid 40s. Possible to sit around a pool but that depends on how lucky you get with the weather - having also lived in So Fla (jupiter) years ago - I could make the same comments about there as well. If you a big probability of great weather - you have 2 choices - Hawaii or another month - mid Feb or later would have a strong likelihood of excellent weather in PHX. (for that matter - in SoFLA also. Southern California is also a fair bet for Jan and there is no end of things to do with a ten year old. California often has clearer skies and better weather in the winter than in the summer (usually overcast and grey) - you can stay in or around Anaheim and there are loads of good deals and few crowds at this time. There are also more things for kids to enjoy, even if you don't luck out with the weather - as fasr as a resort here in PHX or Scottsdale - there are many but usually very pricey and not especially geared to youngsters - my kids always liked Embassy Suites at that age, bcause they could roam around a little and they have indoor swimming pools (and more than 1 TV in the suite) reasonable price and great breakfast buffet. Good luck

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

FYI the rock n roll marathon is taking place that weekend, so it may be fairly crowded in phoenix. hope whatever you choose to do is a blast!

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

My in-laws lived next to Palm Beach, Florida and I have spent a lot of time in south Florida. I moved to scottsdale 3 yers ago so I know both places. Definitely come to Phoenix/Scottsdale for your long weekend. All our pools are heated, even the outdoor city park pools. The locals (people who have lived in Arizona 20 years or more, generally say the they fine the pools "too cold" that time of year, but none of the tourists or the people who have been here a short amount of time do. Yes, you can go in the pools. Hotels are expensive in January. If you want to spend less on a hotel and more on doing things, there is a Motel 6 directly across from Fashion Square Mall which is one of the classist malls in the Phoenix- Scottsdale area with its variety of dining and 250 retail shops. It is a typical Motel 6, cheap and cheerful but you would have lots of money to spend on activities. There are jeep explorations that your son would like very much .... go into the dessert with a guide and a jeep (all day/half day etc). Within 10 minutes of Motel 6 are two very nice scottsdale Parks with swimming pools. The pool at Miller and Oak was put in last year and has a complete playground in the middle of the pool. Residents pay $2 a visit and others $3.oo per visit. Fashion Square Mall is close to Old Town scottsdale and you and your son will enjoy walking around that area with it's art galleries, western shops and unusual merchandise. If you want to stay at a full service resort, with lots of kids, try either of the two Hiltons ... South Point and xxx (forgot the other one. If you choose that then your weekend should be concentrated at the resort with all the amenities. I know your son will not want to go but he will enjoy the Dessert Botanical Gardens (and you will too) ... on Priest between the airport and Old Town Scottsdale. I don't go out of my way to visit gardens but this one is special, things are explained very well and you can see things that exist here but no where elxe in the world. It also has an Indian trail which has houses of the ancient puebelo Indian Nations. A good (but limited menu) retaurant and the gift shop is a good place to get presents. Two - three hours. We have almost everything ... there is an indoor rock climbing facility where he can take a lesson and rent equipment. All major sports have a team in Phoenix and tickets should be available. A warning; for the most part, scottsdales

resturants are not open late even on weekends. (For example, don't plan to have a wide choice of restaurants if you want to start dinner at 11pm.) Don't waste your first night here though. If you don't go to a resort and stay by Old Town, there are lots of places to eat, lots of people walking around window shopping, looking in the galleries windows, etc. So you will feel that you are on vacation and you will notice the difference and the beauty of the dessert.

Oh, even in Jan., when you come, buy bottled water ... don't leave home without it! everytime you leave for a mountain hike, a stroll through Old Town, take your water and keep sipping it. You loose a lot of water without knowing it. Have a good time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

If you do go to Arizona, and are in Old Town Scottsdale, check out the Sugar Bowl! It is a wonderful ice cream parlor, been around since I was a kid (and there were dinosaurs then!) and just great fun to visit (and the ice cream is good too).

The zoo is quite nice as well. There is a GameWorks in the area but that might be jammed for the holiday with lots of kids and parents.

Enjoy your vacation wherever you do end up.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
918 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

Thanks for the input. Not sure where we are going yet. If we go anywhere. May end up doing just a long weekend to Chicago or St. Louis to catch an NHL game. I think if we fly anywhere, it will be Phoenix. Its been about 15 years since I was out that way.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January - long weekend in Phoenix?

If you happen to be here during the FBR Open (formerly the Phoenix Open), you and your son might enjoy that. It is a very popular golf tournament held every year up at the Scottsdale Princess, and it's a great opportunity to get up close to the Pros. Tiger Woods hasn't been here in a few years, but Phil Mickleson, Vijay, and MANY more are typically here. Kids can usually get autographs, and it's a fun event - lots of food, vendors, booths, etc.