We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Has anyone hired a cab from the airport to an area car rental agency? We could save $150 by renting from another Budget location instead of Budget at PHX. They offer free shuttle but not to an airport where there is a Budget facility. You have to get your own transportation. The other rental facility is less than 4 miles away from the airport. Our pick up/drop off times would fall within their hours. I wonder about cab fees. There are four of us. Any thoughts? Just trying to save some money!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

The Budget location you are referring to is at 2640 East Indian School Road which is about 4 miles north of the airport. It is not an expensive cab ride and you can take one by stepping outside of the terminal, following "ground transportation" signs.

Here is the link to the airport transportation site and contact information for several cab companies to give you a better idea. My guess is under $20.00.

skyharbor.com/transportation-and-parking/lim…

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Thanks Ron, I was looking at 1412 N. Scottsdale, Tempe, AZ as they are open until 4 pm on Sat. and Sun. They are located about 5 1/2 miles which would be $14 one way. Thanks for the link!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

It is a part of my new year's resolution not to make assumptions. Thanks for clarifying and have a safe and fun trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

minimum fare from the airport is $15. You still will be saving alot renting off airport site. Only thing is if your flight is delayed, you show up after closing, the airport will not honor the rental quote.

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Did you consider using Hotwire for your rental car?

We saved quite a bit of money using Hotwire for our rental in Phoenix last week, even though we did pick up our car at the airport. The drawbacks are that you have to pay upfront and you don't know in advance which company you'll get until you pay.

We got a top name company and also ended up with an upgrade.

It was a great deal and very convenient for us.

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Thanks for all of the great information. I am now looking in to flying in to Las Vegas and doing the grand circle. We missed Zion and Bryce on the last trip so it would make sense to fly in and out of Vegas. I would like to go to the south rim. I'm sure this info will be useful at that airport too. I'll have to post an itinerary and see if anyone has any other ideas.

I need to get it figured out and get those GC reservations!!

RockyTop
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Another HUGE drawback to renting via Hotwire/Priceline at the boondogle known as the Phoenix Car Rental Center is the fact that you must face the "rat maze". You cannot pre-register or use any computer kiosks or affinity programs that allow you to bypass the counter. This will likely result in a considerable delay when picking up your car. (2hrs+ on two separate occasions for me). One way or another ur going to be bent over by the city of Phoenix. I'm trying to plan this year's trip (has been annual now for 6 years) --but if I can't figure out a satisfactory off airport angle for a car rental, I'll be spending my money elsewhere from now on!

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

I just booked tickets in and out of Las Vegas. We decided to go to GCNP, Page and up to Bryce, Zion and then back to Las Vegas. I hope it is not a hassle to get a car at that airport! It was really difficult deciding which airport to use but I felt that Vegas made the most sense doing that loop.

Thanks for all your help!

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

I am planning a trip for March and I found all these posts helpful. Thank you!

If you rent straight from the airport, do you still have to go through the "rat maze"? I have a reservation ( with no money down now) for a car at the airport, but I am considering the off-site places.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,379 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals from other locations instead of PHX

Register with the rental company you're using for their express option. Each company has their own thing. But basically you give them all of your personal data and credit card info so it is all in the system. Then you bypass the long line, go straight to the express desk where your rental agreement is already in their system and they give you your car number or key or whatever.