We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Antelope Valley,ca.
4 posts
Save Topic
Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Hi,

I'm moving back to the area and I'm trying to find a decent hotel, that offers suite type rooms. It's going to my residence until I can find a rental so I'll be there a month. Although I did live in the Glendale, and the Cave Creek area for 2 years, I really dont know that much about the hotels and the areas they are in.

I've been researching the Extended Stays, but I'm having a difficult time discerning good areas from bad ones. I'm worried I'll book something in an area that is bad and be stuck there for a month. So please any help anyone can offer wil make this transition so much easier. What is most important for my stay;

Good Area (as in safe, low crime)

Close to shopping

Thanks again,

Melissa

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

We need to know the general area where you want to stay. If you have no idea, pick anything that meets your needs in Scottsdale as almost anywhere there is in a safe area, and easy to get around the valley. Avoid near the airport, with the exception of the east side and north on 44th. Avoid downtown and hotels near Metro Center north on I-17. Avoid hotels along I-10 in the west suburbs.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Are you going to have a job when you move down here? It's really better to stay closer to where you need to be.

The Extended Stay Deluxe on Osborn (near Central) and the Extended Stay Deluxe "Biltmore" on 16th Street are both good enough areas with shopping and restaurants around. The former is right by the light rail line also.

Those are a couple of the pricier locations for the chain in the region though. The East Oak Street "Airport" location (not the one on Elwood) isn't in that bad of an area. Right on the edge of a really good area, actually (Arcadia). The ones further out in the suburbs like the locations in Deer Valley, North Scottsdale, Chandler, Peoria, etc., are all in decent neighborhoods, they're just kind of far out.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

I agree, we need to know what general area you're looking at. Where will you be working? If you lived here, you know how spread out Metro Phoenix is, and traffic has only gotten worse, so it's best to be somewhat close to your work/activities. You might also look into vacation rentals, or even timeshare weeks on Ebay.

www.vrbo.com

Antelope Valley,ca.
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Bobbear43 wrote: "We need to know the general area where you want to stay. If you have no idea, pick anything that meets your needs in Scottsdale as almost anywhere there is in a safe area, and easy to get around the valley. Avoid near the airport, with the exception of the east side and north on 44th. Avoid downtown and hotels near Metro Center north on I-17. Avoid hotels along I-10 in the west suburbs."

Thank-you for replying :-) The last time I was there for a visit was last November. I chose an Extended Stay in Scottsdale for the reason you stated, the one on N. Scottsdale rd. The area was great, and it was close to everything. It met my two most important requirements.

But the room itself was run down and dirty. Upon turning down the bed, I noticed a pair of underwear on the floor...that of course made me wonder if the room was cleaned at all. The majority of the staff was friendly with the exception of the maids. Who were pushy, rude, and couldn't speak english.

Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting 4 star hotel quality from an Extended stay, but am I being unrealistic in wanting a clean room and being able to communicate with maid service?

The only other two, one located on 3560 N. Marshall Way, the other on

10660 N. 69th St. Either of those in the same type of area as N. Scottsdale rd?

Thanks once again!

Antelope Valley,ca.
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Colinaz wrote; "Are you going to have a job when you move down here? It's really better to stay closer to where you need to be.

The Extended Stay Deluxe on Osborn (near Central) and the Extended Stay Deluxe "Biltmore" on 16th Street are both good enough areas with shopping and restaurants around. The former is right by the light rail line also.

Those are a couple of the pricier locations for the chain in the region though. The East Oak Street "Airport" location (not the one on Elwood) isn't in that bad of an area. Right on the edge of a really good area, actually (Arcadia). The ones further out in the suburbs like the locations in Deer Valley, North Scottsdale, Chandler, Peoria, etc., are all in decent neighborhoods, they're just kind of far out."

Thank-you for replying and all of your helpful information :-)

To answer your question, no unfortunately I don't have a job waiting for me when I arrive. So location at this point is pretty open, but it would be helpful being close to local Floral shops, as thats what I do. And those are usually located by other retail stores. So close to shopping is important for business and pleasure.

Thanks again!

Antelope Valley,ca.
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Hummingbird37 wrote; "I agree, we need to know what general area you're looking at. Where will you be working? If you lived here, you know how spread out Metro Phoenix is, and traffic has only gotten worse, so it's best to be somewhat close to your work/activities. You might also look into vacation rentals, or even timeshare weeks on Ebay."

Thank-you for replying :-)

It never even crossed my mind to look into vacation rentals or timeshares. My knowledge of them is very limited. Do you know if they are in the same price range as extended stay hotels? On average, they are 800 a month.

Thanks again for helping!

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

the one on East Oak is across the street from a Costco and three to four blocks from Target and a Fry's. I stayed in on a Baseline in Mesa, wasn't bad, Fry's across the street with a Walgreen's at the corner.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

What is your budget?

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

Try vrbo.com for a home/condo rental... many are available month to month. We stayed in one in Anthem for the month of May, and there are many to choose from!

10. Re: Relocating, need a good extended stay hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 05:16