We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoenix stop-over

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
phoenix stop-over

Next March, we'll be flying in to Phoenix, arriving mid-evening, and plan to drive up to Sedona the next day. Can anyone recommend a good hotel? Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phoenix stop-over

Do you want to be near the airport since it's starting to get late in the day or would you rather go to the north end of town to have a head start in the morning.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: phoenix stop-over

I've never been to Phoenix before (or indeed Arizona) so don't know what we should do. I've read that the area around the airport isn't great and doesn't have anything much by way of restaurants. If that's correct, I think we'd rather be somewhere more interesting. What do you suggest?

Edited: 17 November 2010, 21:06
Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: phoenix stop-over

If you are arriving mid evening and would like a hotel where you have restaurants close by - you should stay either close to Old Town Scottsdale or Tempe. Plenty of good restaurants, shopping and other activities in those two locations. Old Town Scottsdale has everything from high end resorts to moderately priced motels. Same with Tempe. Mill Avenue Tempe and Tempe Town Lake are the two main attractions in Tempe with moderate to mid-high end hotels/motels.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 21:38
Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phoenix stop-over

What do you want to do, tour Phoenix or is the day trip to Sedona more important? If the latter (you really won't have time after arriving and getting rental car and bags to do much that night) I would suggest getting as far north of Phoenix as possible. This will give you a jump start to get to Sedona the next day.

Sedona can take a week or more to visit, so you will want to have as much available time for a one day visit. So, if Sedona is your goal on that next day, stay north. If Phoenix is, then stay in Old Town Scottsdale. Personally, if I was heading to Sedona, I would not care about nearby restaurants, I would be happy with an Applebee's, so long as I could beat the traffic the next morning.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: phoenix stop-over

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We will be spending at least seven or eight days in Sedona so don't have to dash off first thing in the morning. Now we can do one of those most pleasant travel activities -- planning!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phoenix stop-over

I second staying in the downtown/Old Town part of Scottsdale, plenty to see and do the next morning and amazing restaurants, let us know your price range and food choices.

The next morning you might want to visit the Heard Museum in downtown Phoenix, a world class museum of all things southwest and Native American. Or stroll through Desert Botanical Garden when they open.

A good stop on your way north to Sedona off I-17 is Montezuma Castle National Monument, an ancient cliffside dwelling of the native Sinagua Indians that is beautifully done.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
840 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phoenix stop-over

If you want to tour the Desert Botanical Gardens, I'd suggest staying on the north side of the airport. There's a cluster of hotels right near the light rail stop at 44th St/Washington....Crown Plaza, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, and a Hilton Garden Inn. The Chinese Cultural Center is just behind the Doubletree and would make a great place to eat dinner. Or you could take the rail into Tempe for an abundance of options. My office is close to this area, and co-workers from out of town stay in this area all the time without incident.

If you did this, you may be able to save a day of a rental car, picking up your car the next morning.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: phoenix stop-over

Again, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your advice. At both ends of our trip we'll be overnighting in the Phoenix area and now we have some ideas about what to do. In fact, instead of just overnighting, perhaps we should spend a day or two..

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: phoenix stop-over

I would suggest you stay in Scottsdale, and spend 2-3 days either on the front end or on the tail end of your trip, avoiding packing and unpacking more than you have to... (Would consider flight times as to which end to choose!)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phoenix stop-over

As a recent visitor, I agree tp spending at least one full day in Phoenix with a two night stay. Also, as long as you've got that much time, allow yourself a full day on the drive up to see things along the way such as Montezuma's Castle and possibly Jerome and Toozigoot.