We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

Atlanta
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

We have reservations here for the upcoming BCS bowl. We were able to book with starwood points. However, relatives who live in Phoenix have advised against staying in this area, and suggest Scottsdale instead. Any thoughts? Should we stay here for free, or pay a lot more and stay elsewhere? How bad is the area, or are our relatives mistaken? They live in Scottsdale, and admittedly don't head to that part of town often.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

This hotel actually has alot going for it. It is probably more of a conference/convention type hotel than a resort, but the pool area is a good one, the lobby is immaculate, wide open and inviting, there's a patio area downstairs behind the lobby and renovated guest rooms. It is right next to the freeway, so there might be some noise if your room were on that side, and the neighborhood itself is primarily commercial. It is a lot closer to the stadium than Scottsdale and since the price is certainly right, i think it would be an acceptable choice. We looked at it for a possible wedding/reception site and liked what we saw. The hotel is great, the neighborhood is not resort-like like Scottsdale but it would certainly do for what your needs are.

Edited: 06 December 2010, 00:10
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

That area isn't terrible, it's just that there aren't a whole lot of things to do nearby. There is Metro Center mall across the highway, but it's declined a bit over the years, and a lot of the stores have moved out. There are a number of chain restaurants around the mall, but nothing really special. The thing that always concerns me is that Sheraton Crescent has had some issues with car break-ins, even in their own parking lot and parking garage. The rooms that face south, and the ones on the western edge of the building, are a bit noisy due to the freeway. Now all of that said, it is still a decent hotel.

Another option, though, is to try for using cash and points at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale. They don't always offer it, but it's a great deal when they do. You could also try for the Westin Kierland villas, or even the Sheraton Desert Oasis villas. (Sometimes they let you use cash and points at the Desert Oasis, and sometimes you can use points to get 1/2 off the room rate.)

The Westin Kierland is a much better hotel than the Crescent; I'd even prefer the Desert Oasis over the Sheraton Crescent. Be aware that the villas don't have room service, but you do have a kitchen or kitchenette in your room, depending on the room type.

The hotels in Scottsdale will have much better access to activities, shopping, and dining than the Sheraton Crescent. Basically, the only time we stay at the Crescent is in the summer when our a/c goes out (it does this at least once per summer, lol!) - and we do so b/c it's cheap/free with Starwood points.

One other option, if you still want to use Starwood and can't find a room at the other places I mentioned, is to stay at the Sheraton downtown - very new and nice hotel. Again, try for cash and points.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

I just saw AZFan's post. I don't know if AZFan has actually stayed there, but in regard to the pool and back patio area - yes, it LOOKS nice, but in reality, it needs work. Unless they have updated since we were there last summer, the pool and jacuzzi area are getting rather tired. Nearly every time we've been there, the jacuzzi either isn't working, or is lukewarm at best.

Pool service ranges from just "ok" to almost non-existent, even when the "snack and bar area" is open. The food is just ok, your basic hamburger and fries type deal, with a few things for the kiddos. But I asked for a glass of white wine from the pool bar one summer, and the bartender told me he didn't have any cold wine, that it was all stored on open shelves and had probably gone bad, and I should go to the inside restaurant bar (in my bathing suit??) to get my wine. That kind of thing drives me nuts!

As for the back patio, again, it looks fairly nice. But, the last time I was there, I got a cell phone call that I wanted to take in private, so I left the pool and walked over to that very pretty, shaded area. I looked for a place to sit down, but every single bench they had out there was in such disrepair (literally falling apart, rusted, splinters, etc.) that there was absolutely nowhere to sit. I observed other people who were out there either smoking or also taking calls, and they, too, were wandering around with nowhere to sit.

I know those are very specific, (and yes, picky) details, but to me they are easy fixes, and it bugs me that it's been several years and the hotel hasn't bothered to do anything about these issues. I will say that they do a very nice job with weddings; big groups and conventions are definitely their strong point. The public inside areas are beautiful, and the rooms are always quite clean.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

Thanks for the replies. I just checked SPG again, and a room has popped up at the Phoenician Scottsdale for 12,000 points, vs. the Sheraton Crescent for 7,000 points. Looks like a pretty good deal, right? Am I missing something?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

Yes, that's about right - the Phoenician ranges from 12,000-16,000 points per night. If you can nab it, that's a very nice place to stay. I forgot about the Phoenician - I knew I was missing one when I wrote that earlier post!

Edited: 06 December 2010, 00:31
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

Phoenician is a five star resort, a classic in the valley, truly beautiful and excellent service!

No, have not stayed at the Crescent, you are correct. Just going on the visits to the banquet rooms and common areas...there is no choice between these two options, Phoenician is first rate. But if they are not doing much more than sleeping there and attending the game and visiting family in Scottsdale, i still think the Crescent would suffice.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

Yeah, it's a toss-up as far as location for the game is concerned. Just depends on how close they want to be to their relatives in Scottsdale, and what their other activities are. But that's one of the reasons we love using Starwood - they usually have a number of hotel options in larger cities. And their cash and points can't be beat - $60 plus some points for the Westin Kierland?? I'll take it! ;)

Wherever you choose, Debatl, have a great time at the game!

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

The BCS Bowl game is out at the University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale just off the 101. The best hotel near there is the Renaissance Hotel

http://renaissanceglendale.com/ You could walk to the game. There will be a lot of activities going on right there at Westgate http://www.westgatecitycenter.com/

where you'll also find restaurants, bars, movie theater, and some shops Your relatives live in Scottsdale. Do you just want to see your relatives while you are here, or be close by. Either way, you could hop on the 101 and be there in aout 30 min. depending upon traffic and where they live in Scottsdale.

If staying free is your objective, then I guess you need to consider your other two hotels.

The BCS bowl game and the Fiesta Bowl game are both held at the same location - Westgate knows how to throw a party!

You didn't say how long you would be in town, but if the bowl game is the focus of your trip, give serious consideration to what I've told you :-)

Edited: 07 December 2010, 18:57
9. Re: Sheraton Crescent Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 05:19