We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2011 trip help

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
June 2011 trip help

I am starting to make plans for a June 2011 family vacation. The kids (8 and 10) decided that they wanted to go to the Grand Canyon this year. We will probably have 5 or 6 days to spend. My initial thought was to fly to Las Vegas and rent a car. Some ideas were a day in Vegas, Hoover Dam, a day or two at the Grand Canyon (try to stay in the park), then some other stuff around AZ (Flagstaff, Phoenix ?).

Like I said I'm really just starting to plan so any help, advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

When I was a kid my family did a few day driving trip from the Grand Canyon to Nogales. We had a blast and I wanted to give my kids something similar (although I don't think going into a Mexican border town is as good of an idea as it was back then).

Thanks!!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2011 trip help

There are a lot of options for your trip. With 5 or 6 days, I suggest a couple of days at the Grand Canyon (south rim) and the balance of the time in either Page or Sedona. You could use either Las Vegas or Phoenix for the entry point for this trip. Drive time would probably be a wash from either. Base your decision on airfare and rental car cost. Getting a rental car is the way to go. The best way to see the sights in the area is by driving yourself.

Lodging inside the Grand Canyon is very important; get on that right away. There are several options, but they get full quickly. Here's the website for reseravations:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

If they are full already, get something just outside the park, but check back with the in the park lodges for cancelations.

Page and Sedona each offer a lot of things to see and do that should be of interest to you and your family.

Page has Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam (just as big as Hoover, and a lot less crowded and less expensive to boot), Lake Powell (boating and touring options), rafting on the Colorado River.....the list goes on.

Sedona is simply a beautiful setting. Do some hiking, take a jeep tour, horse back riding or just chill. Lots of options in either location.

Check the trip report archive at the top of the AZ forum. you can get a lot of additional ideas on things to see and do during your trip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2011 trip help

OH has given you excellent advice. Booking a night or two at the GCNP should be the first thing you do. Then plan the balance of your time around that. I agree that either Sedona or Page make a great compliment to the GCNP. While it is possible to do all three destinations, it would be rushed in 5-6 days and I would advise you to choose one or the other.

www.visitsedona.com

I would discourage anything south of Sedona in June simply because of the warmer temperatures. And there is no reason to go anywhere close to the Mexican Border in these dangerous times.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2011 trip help

Both previous posters have given you great advice. PLease check out your other thread for a more in depth response to your query.

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2011 trip help

If you are going to the GC, to really appreciate it you need to get down in it. I would recommend the hike down to Havasu Falls if your family is adventurous. We did it in 2005 and stayed 2 nights. Great trip; kids still talk about it. They were 8 and 13 at the time. Be sure to spend time in Flagstaff and Sedona- make the drive through Oak Creek Canyon.

Phoenix and Tuscon are also both worth the stops. Plenty of online help for this trip, do your research. AZ is a great state.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2011 trip help

Well, if I echo the advice: Book in the park first and keep checking (and calling if you don't get in), spend two nights in the park and focus on the area north of Phoenix, I guess you can tell it's good advice. Our last trip we tried to get too much in-the distances and drive time are greater than you think. Focus on the GCNP and down towards Sedona or eliminate that and do Hoover. Many who have posted here decide to forgo Vegas to see the parks.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2011 trip help

We stayed in Supai on a trip for a week with the locals there... Visiting the falls would be fantastic for the kids if they don't mind the hike... We took a group of youth, hiking into the canyon was manageable but they were expecting the 8 mile hike.... The waterfalls are a few miles past the village (total of 4 but we went to 3)... You can fly in and out via helicopter but remember that locals get flights first and you follow them (the day we left it took several hours to get our group out). BUT there is nothing like the Experience!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2011 trip help

We stayed in Supai on a trip for a week with the locals there... Visiting the falls would be fantastic for the kids if they don't mind the hike... We took a group of youth, hiking into the canyon was manageable but they were expecting the 8 mile hike.... The waterfalls are a few miles past the village (total of 4 but we went to 3)... You can fly in and out via helicopter but remember that locals get flights first and you follow them (the day we left it took several hours to get our group out). BUT there is nothing like the Experience!

8. Re: June 2011 trip help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 05:16