We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

we are a family of 5 visiting phoenix. We want to go to the Grand Canyon for a day and take a tour. What is the most reliable tour co?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

Your question is confusing.

The best tour company from Flagstaff IMO is Angels Gate Tours. But if you are coming from PHX, you'll need to leave around 4-5AM to get to Flagstaff in time to get on that tour.

I do not recommend day trips from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon.

If you are driving to the Grand canyon NP from PHX, you don't need a tour guide. You can tour the park on your own. But you should plan to spend the night at the park

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Clarify please.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

Best tour Co is..... YOU!

Rent a car and DIY.

I agree with previous poster that your post is confusing as you ask about tour co from Flagstaff yet are saying that you are staying in Phoenix...

NOT a day trip from Phoenix.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 05:46
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

Actually, the Grand Canyon can be done in a day trip from Phoenix. I recommend at least an overnight stay, but if you're time-challenged and bent on just seeing it to say you saw it, rent a car (or a big SUV if you have a group of 5) the day before, leave very early, go directly there, and expect to be driving back into the city after dark (the sun sets early in Phoenix, even in the summer, as we don't set our clocks ahead in the spring). It's super easy to follow a map there or use a GPS.

Here is another option, though: Detours tour company offers Grand Canyon day trips for $150 per adult, $85 child. No, it's not cheap, but I've traveled with Detours twice (free, in the fairness of total disclosure, on comped "press trips" because I am a writer). Their vans are super comfy, with captain's chairs for all the riders, and in my opinion, their guides are worth the price. You get way more than a scenic ride up there -- the guides have extensive knowledge of the state and its history, culture, geology, etc., so you get a narrated tour and in-depth experience.

http://www.detoursaz.com

If you're leaving from Flagstaff, I can't help you there except to say just drive it yourself.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

Detours does offer the advantage of smaller very comfortable vans, but as noted, it's a long day. On the plus side, I believe they do spend more time and make a few more stops inside the park than any tours from LV, since they can logically use both gates and travel along the whole east rim road.

I know that this is the normal route for Angels Gate Tours from Flagstaff

Edited: 06 January 2011, 00:40
5. Re: best tour co from flagstaff to the gcanyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 06:25