We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley

We are travelling from Australia in April/May and would love to visit Monument Valley. What is the best way for us to do this? We will be stopping in LA initially and then ending up in Orlando. How we get there is open to options. We have been to LV and thought Phoenix would the best place to use as a base to travel to Monument Valley. Please help!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley

HI

Take I15 from Los Angeles to Barstow and I40 all the way to Flagstaff. Then hit us89 north to Tuba City, us160 from Tuba City and us163 to the entrance of Monument Valley Tribal Park. Many places to visit on your way. Have you already been to Sedona, Grand Canyon NP etc etc?

Phoenix would not be best place to visit Monument Valley. It's a 6 hours drive from there. If you don't plan on visiting other places, Flagstaff would be best place to spend the night coming from LA.

Make your reservations in MV at The View Hotel or Goulding's Lodge.

Maybe put your planned route on the Road Trips forum and maybe we can help for the rest of your trip. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley

You'll need 2 days at a minimum, from PHX, FLG or LV. An overnight stay at View or Gouldings is best and allow 3-8 hours to drive to and from the points I referenced.

IMO, it is a long way to go, unless you have other UT and AZ destinations in your plan.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley

I don't quite understand the logic of the previous post. You would have at least a 10- to 12-hour drive one from LA. And then what?

I assume you will be arriving from Australia in LA and making your way across the country to Orlando. In that case, Phoenix might be a good stop, drive to Monument Valley then proceed to Albuquerque to continue east.

There are smaller airlines that could get you somewhat closer to Monument Valley like Flagstaff, Durango or Gallup, but I'm not sure what the connections would be. Flying to Phoenix and picking up a rental car might be easier.

There are several scenic routes from Phoenix to Monument Valley with interesting stops along the way. My favorite is to go through Payson to Winslow then through the Hopi Reservation to Tuba City.

As the previous post mentions, you now have two choices for accommodations at Monument Valley -- Goulding's and the new lodge built by the Navajo Nation. My wife and I stayed at Goulding's a few years back before the new lodge was available. The highlight was watching sunrise and sunset. Magnificent!!

Just a few hours drive south and east is Canyon de Chelly, which is a wonderful stop. It would be on the way, if you went to either Albuquerque or Phoenix.

Let me know if you have questions.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley

Regarding accommodations at Monument Valle,y Gouldings is the older of the two being a motel but it does have an interesting museum of memorabilia of movies made in Monument Valley and actors who stayed there at the motel The View is owned and run by the Navajo Indians and is only a year or two old. Both have good views of sunrise and sunset over Monument Valley but The View is located within the park and is closer to the monuments. There are several tours that can be booked when you arrive at both locations. You should definitely stay the night. Enjoy that beautiful scenery.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley

Thank you for all the wonderful information. Unfortunately at this stage we will have to put our trip to Monument Valley on hold as we have to get to Orlando a lot quicker than we thought. We still intend visiting the Valley but it won't be for a few years.

Thanks a million

6. Re: Monument Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 10:39