We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

well....this is a new one

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
well....this is a new one

out of all the nearly 50 years of living here, i don't believe i've ever seen a dust storm in february. with a very dry winter, the ground is very dry...along with little new grass and ground cover in the desert.

for the sake of stating the obvious...if you have to drive, steer clear of high profile vehicles on freeways and highways.

for those who are visiting or are new to the area, if you have to drive the highway...and if dust creates limited to little visibility, pull off to the right as far as possible...turn OFF your lights...and keep your foot OFF the brakes. people will follow tail lights thinking they're still on the road.

come on rain!!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: well....this is a new one

That was Pinal County blowing by.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: well....this is a new one

Billy: I don't what you are talking about. I looked out my window yesterday and couldn't see any storm because there was so much dust blowing around. For the record it officially sprinkled this morning at 12:30. I know because my dog wouldn't shut up until I got up to let him out so he could bark at the rain drops. Like all dogs, he doesn't like rare and unusual events.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: well....this is a new one

I definitely noticed it in Mesa (85204) - diff color skies...wind when driving (at least it wasnt ME swerving...it was the wind!!). Then when i went to pick-up mail around 5pm, walking across my parking lot, wind was blowing pretty good. Nothing this morning. except cold (48.6F)

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: well....this is a new one

Thanks Billy for the tip about the brakes. Never thought of that.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
829 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: well....this is a new one

still remember with awe the apocalyptic monster dust-/sandstorm last July, first week of July or so I think ... I drove out of Phoenix about a half hour before it descen ded and wreaked havoc. All the way home there was this massive black wall to the right and I got almost blown off the highway - which was nothing when I watched the news the following morning and realized that if I'd been a bit later I'd have been stranded in Phoenix - or make that sanded ...

6. Re: well....this is a new one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:17