We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this pretty good airfare?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is this pretty good airfare?

Traveling Newark NJ to Phoenix June 29. today i saw $400 round trip. I know the summer is low season so i was wondering if anyone fly's round trip that time of year and what you think of this fare? Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

I think you can do better. Since you still have a little time, why not set up a fare alert on airfare watch dog or similar sites. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/fare-alerts/

Also be sure to delete all related cookies on your computer every time you go back to the airline site, otherwise they'll prevent you from seeing any sudden drops. Keep in mind that Southwest airlines does not participate in any of these third party sites so check them out separately.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

We fly Philly to Phoenix frequently and our highest airfare has been $368. We always get direct flights though and don't want to change that. Philly and Newark prices are pretty comparable.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

Thanks for the info, Im gonna wait and see. I want in the 3s as well. Was your 368 including all taxes and fees?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

Yes,it was. We leave in 10 days and actually it was $351 each with taxes.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

I think that's a good fare. right now I'm seeing about $448 RT but i picked July 11 as return date. I tried alternate return dates and its about the same.

I"m trying to find PHX-PVR and its $734.....(and only 2.5 hour flight).

Prairieville...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

Don't forget to add baggage fees.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

Any time you fly near the dates of major holiday, July 4 in this case, you will see higher airfare. You don't say how long you are staying, so we can't really check for you. Use a service like Travelocity that searches all airlines. Sometimes Kayak can come up with great fares, but check on the connections and connection times that might be involved.

$400 appears lower than what is available right now, but not knowing the length of your stay. Don't delay buying any closer to your days than 21+ days as most airlines raise fares the closer to your date, with 21 days usually being the first break.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 06:27
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

We will be flying back on July 3rd. I have been watching the fares daily for the last 6 weeks or so, always deleting cookies before logging on to the different sites. 400 is the lowest i have seen so far. Thanks everyone for your input.

Prairieville...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

I found $400.20 RT on your dates. That includes taxes and no baggage fees.

RI
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this pretty good airfare?

I booked a flight from Newark to Phoenix for May 14 and it was $300 rt including fees. We booked on united airlines.