We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

We are trying to decide between the following resorts-Arizona Grand Resort, Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak, or Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs. We will be in Phoenix for Brewers spring training for 3 days before heading on to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. We will have a rental car so distance is not as important as things to do at the resort. Kids will be ages 8 & 11. They love swimming so great pool is important. We would possibly also like to do some horseback riding or golfing. Also, can you recommend any other fun activities for their ages in the area before we move on to Sedona? Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

Do you have the Brewer's spring training schdule yet? If so, you might want to check to see if they are "home" or have a series of "split squad" games then. If they do, and unless you are married to Hilton, you might want to consider the often overlooked Wigwam Resort. It is actually closer to your park than all the rest. In addition it is an easier drive, the air is slightly cleaner and it has all the 5 star goodies including great golf and lots of swimming. Also, if you don't want all your meals in the resort there are plenty of places from fast food on up just outside the grounds. Lastly, it will be much easier for you to get on the road to Sedona from there. It's worth checking out.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 21:40
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

Thank you for the recommendation. I looked up the Wigwam and it looks like a beautiful resort and I wish we could stay there, but at $400 a night it is out of our price range.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

Don had a good idea, but... The Hilton Pointe Tapatio Cliffs is the closest to the ballpark the Brewers use during Spring training, but they may not be playing there during your stay. See if you can get a Brewers' Spring Training schedule as soon as they are available and see who and where they will be playing. Then come back here with your question. You can Google "Cactus League Master Schedule for 2013," and there is a link to get an email alert when the schedule becomes available.

There are currently 15 teams doing Spring Training in the Phoenix area, and the ballparks are scattered throughout the area. Freeways are available, but it is a long, long drive from the east side to the west side.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

And here is YOUUUUUR Brewer's info (at least until they publish the schedule)!!!

www.mlb.com/spring_training/home.jsp?c_id=mil

www.mlb.com/springtraining/cactusleague/

You might consider the Tempe Marriott which is within walking distance of Tempe Diablo Stadium (Angels). From there it is very close to Phx. Muni (The A's) Scottsdale (Giants) and Talking Stick (D-Backs). I am sure their rates will agree with your budget. Also you can go down to AZ Mills for the fantastic amusement arcade, Rain Forest Cafe and multi-plex theater for the kids.

Diablo is really great because it is one of the last old style spring training parks where you can get up close and personal with the players and sausage racers (I have a signed photo). A few years back I got a signed MLB ball by leaning over the 3 foot chain link fence and telling Eric Gagne it was my 5 year old grand nephew's first game. What a nice guy! He took the time to talk to the boy and shake his hand!

5. Re: Which resort would you recommend for spring training?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:19