We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apache Trail

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Apache Trail

Im staying in Tucson this week and wondered if it would be good to spend a day in and around Phoenix.. Mostly I've been wondering if anyone has drivin the entire length of Apache Trail? It sounds like a great drive, Im in a rental car but it dosnt really sound like it requires a 4 wheel drive or anything..I'd appreciate any comments from those who know..Thanks very much..Merry Christmas

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apache Trail

Driving up from Tucson, driving the entire Apache Trail, and then driving back to Tucson would take an entire day. It's scenic, but I think you would do better spending that day in Tucson or even doing something else in Phoenix. There are a number of scenic drives around Tucson, if that's what you're interested in.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apache Trail

You know I was thinking the same thing myself. Thats why I asked someone like you thats in the know. Yes there are a lot of great drives around here..I drove the Catalina's and Mt Lemmon today...Good advice thank u

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apache Trail

Always love to drive Apache Trail and 22 miles are unpaved. I''d still would recommend a SUV and don''t drive the unpaved part when wet. The unpaved part can be quite bumpy.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apache Trail

The Apache trail is really a great, great drive as far as scenic goes, and Tortilla Flat an unforgettable stop. The unpaved part can easily be done without a 4WD, but it is very steep in parts, and lots of it is washboard, and really rattles you. It is a really gorgeous drive, but it is certainly not comfortable to drive. However, I wouldn't do it from Tucson as a day drive. We did it from home as a one-day outing earlier this year and that really took all day as well.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apache Trail

I have done the Apache Trail several times, never in a SUV or 4WD. The unpaved portion can be bumpy, but the scenery is worth it. It should not take all day from Tucson.

Go out of Tucson on Oracle Road and pick up State Route 79 through Florence. Nice ride on a 2 lane highway. You will get on US 60 and head into Apache Junction where you can get the Apache Trail.

When you reach the end of the Apache Trail, you will be at Roosevelt Lake. Take SR188 to Globe/Miami. Go through Globe on US 60 and pick up SR77 just outside town. That will take you back to Oracle Junction.

A neat, scenic drive.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Florence
Florence
Central Arizona, AZ
Apache Junction
Apache Junction
Central Arizona, AZ
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apache Trail

Yes, we have driven it the first time with a Ford Thunderbird long ago but I must say the SUV we had last time did the job better. No need for awd/4wd.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apache Trail

Your rental car contract probably has some prohibition against driving on unpaved roads. Nothing will probably happen, but if something does you will be kicking yourself.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,171 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apache Trail

Tucson to Apache Trail to Globe and return to Tucson is about a 5.5 hour drive. The 22-mile unpaved portion may be scenic for the passengers if they appreciate mountain driving, but the driver sees little of the scenery as paying attention to the road. It is especially rough after rain if it has not been graded, and there has been recent rain.

Part of the portion from Globe to Tucson is also scenic.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apache Trail

If you do have concerns about your car or a rental car, just go out to Tortilla Flat where the pavement ends and you will still see lots of scenery. Canyon Lake is right there, and you can take a ride on the Dolly steamboat. Very, very nice. You can make a stop at the Lost Dutchman State Park, which is on the Apache Trail just out of Apache Junction. Great views of the Superstitions and several hiking trails. So, even if you don't go all the way, there is still lots to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Apache Junction
Apache Junction
Central Arizona, AZ
Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Apache Trail

I am also planning to do the apache trail in 4 th week of April but am planning to only drive the paved portion. I will be coming from Phoenix. Can somebody guide me how much Time it would take without rushing for the trip and back to Phoenix. Thanks