We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walla Walla
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

We will be in the pheonix area for a wedding in may and want a relaxing weekend laying by the pool with an umbrella drink and a book. Which property would be the best for this?

Edited: 06 January 2013, 06:24
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

Are those your only options?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

Kinda! We are using our aa miles to purchase. Of those three properties which is the nicest and most adult oriented? We could stay at the Arizona biltmore Waldorf for twice as many miles. We arent looking for totally fancy. Although I don't want to be surrounded by loud obnoxious people either.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

They are roughly the same design and built about the same time. There are some differences, but not major. They are in three different sites in Phoenix area. Pick the one that is most convenient to your wedding activities.

4. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 19:10
Edited: 06 January 2013, 19:10
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

There are some differences in the 3. The Pointe Tapatio is basically built into a mountain, so that many of the buildings are on a hill, and require a bit of a "hike' to get to, although they do have a free shuttle. Be aware of this when booking your room, if you have any mobility issues. There is also one main, multi-story building complex that has two separate pools, an adult pool and a "family pool". If your goal is a quiet pool experience, use the adult pool area if you stay at Tapatio, but don't get a room that's next to the family pool, otherwise all you hear all day are the screams of children. However, you may or may not have drink or food service at the adult pool; the bar hours at that pool are sporadic.

There are also several other smaller pools scattered around that property, along with their main large "Falls" pool complex. You'll definitely find obnoxious people at the main pool. Honestly, that's one of the reasons we no longer go to the Pointe Tapatio, and the fact that their pool service ranges from "so-so" to downright awful.

And, the same is basically true of the Pointe Squaw Peak. Obnoxious pool-goers/partiers tend to crowd the River Ranch pool complex, and flagging down a server is almost impossible, especially on a weekend. The servers ignore dirty plates and cups, so they tend to pile up next to the lounge chairs for hours. In general, the guests at Squaw Peak tend to be the rowdiest and most obnoxious, even at the smaller pools. I believe they still have an adult pool area in the main building, but again, the hours of the adjacent bar/restaurant don't seem to be reliable.

The Arizona Grand is definitely geared towards families, so you'll find lots of kids there using the water park-like pool complex. I haven't been there in a few years, so I can't speak for the clientele, I just know that the water park pool is a huge draw. The AZ Grand also has a few other, smaller pools around the property like the Pointe Tapatio. In general, it's a nice enough property and would be fine, especially if the wedding is nearby in Tempe; just use one of the smaller pools.

If it were me, and I HAD to choose one of the three, I would probably choose the Pointe Tapatio, get a mountainside room, (they'll usually upgrade you if you ask) and use either the adult pool or the small Sunset pool. (Look for the Sunset pool on the Tapatio property map upon arrival; it has great views of the city, mountains, and yes, the sunsets!) You can bring in your own drinks to the Sunset pool, which is what we've done in the past, when the bar at the adult pool is closed. And fyi - at Tapatio, the further away you are from the Falls pool area, the quieter it generally is.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 19:18
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

Now, all that said, if you can pay for a hotel room instead of using points, then you'll have better options. May is our shoulder season, and you can often find great deals online. There's a place called the Hermosa Inn, located in Paradise Valley; it's perfect for a quiet weekend. It's a tiny property, definitely adult-oriented (I've never seen kids staying there), and the food is excellent in their restaurant, Lon's. Their pool area is small but has comfy lounge chairs and lounge beds, and they'll be happy to send out a server anytime. If you're interested, sign up for their emails, as they often email deals months in advance.

www.hermosainn.com

One other very quiet, adult, and romantic resort is the Royal Palms in Scottsdale. They tend to be quite pricey, though, but here's the website, if you'd like to check it out:

www.royalpalmshotel.com

7. Re: Adult time - Hilton Tapatio cliifs, Squaw peak Arizona grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 07:16