We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Training with the Wife

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Training with the Wife

My wife says I am too old to be galavanting off to Phoenix to catch some spring training baseball games in March. So, she has kindly accepted to go with me and will probably end up staying at the hotel ..... she is not much of a fan. This will work out for me but not as much for her.

We will be there for 4 days and there is only so much one can spend on watching TV, reading a book or knitting a sweater. Can anyone please provide me the best areas where my wife and I can stay which will afford her the opportunity to be a tourist in Phoenix? She likes quaint shops, history, tours and people watching. Any advice on the best location (is there an "old town" phoenix) for the hotel ..... and of course, please feel free to advise on a particular hotel or a great restaurant as we will be eating out each evening. Thanks in advance for any who can help.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Training with the Wife

Sad to say, you may be too late. Rates and occupancy go sky high here in March as folks flock here for spring training.

For what you want, you might try Oldtown/Downtown Scottsdale. That is a walking around area and is close to Scottsdale Stadium where the Giants play their games. The Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies are near the Talking Stick Resort on the reservation.

Give them a try, but if you don"t succeed start planning for next year. Good luck.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Training with the Wife

ABG is right on with his suggestion of Old Town Scottsdale. There is plenty to do there as far as shops, restaurants, galleries etc., and all walkable. Some fun/fav restaurants include Cowboy Ciao, Citizens Public House, Olive & Ivy, The Mission and a new place, The House Brasserie. You won't go wrong at any of these.

I do realize this may not be the most convenient place to stay, depending on the team you have come to watch, however, this is probably the area that will keep you married, at least til you get home. Good Luck.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Training with the Wife

Not sure what your budget is, but any of the hotels up and down Scottsdale Road would work best, there is a hospitality trolley that runs around. Shopping is excellent downtown, and the Old Town area has some historical significance to it as well. The Kierland Commons shopping area up near Greenway and Scottsdale Roads is a great place to people watch, kind of a small town feel to it, plenty of dining options as well for an evening of it for the two of you. Across the street is Scottsdale Quarter, not as big or as much shopping, but good dining and an IPIC movie theater.

http://www.scottsdalemuseum.com/ Check out the schoolhouse museum in Old Town for anything historical , pretty parklike area to stroll near the Old Town Shops.

scottsdalegalleries.com/ And an excellent art gallery district as well.

4. Re: Spring Training with the Wife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 05:18