We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

My husband and I have never been to Phoenix and want to get out of the sub freezing temps here in Colorado. We want to go last week in January. We do not golf. Where is a good place to stay? Downtown? More near Scottsdale? We do like to have bars, nightlife and we are foodies, but we want to make sure we are in a safe area and it doesn't have to be an "Hard Rock Cafe" type of atmosphere, we are grandparents, but YOUNG grandparents, LOL. It doesn't have to be trendy but nice. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

Hey, I don't blame you! I'm heading to Denver soon to visit family, and I asked my husband, "Remind me why I decided to go to Denver in January?" LOL...

Anyway, you could certainly stay near Old Town Scottsdale, as there are lots of great restaurants, shops, and bars down there. The W and the Hotel Valley Ho are two good options. But assuming you're renting a car, you don't have to stay IN Old Town; there are lots of great resorts here, many with excellent spas, if you're into having a spa day. What's your budget per night? It's high season, and rates are pretty steep right now, but if we know your budget, we can make more recs.

Besides perusing Old Town, you could also take a trip to the Desert Botanical Garden during the day - it's a gorgeous place to walk around and be in the sun.

www.dbg.org

There's tons of hiking options; Pinnacle Peak and Squaw Peak (aka Piestewa Peak) are good options for an easy/moderate hike. Camelback Mountain is good for a more strenuous/difficult hike.

A trip to Cave Creek and Carefree, north of Phoenix, is also fun. Visit the Town Dump (a retail store) and the Buffalo Chip Saloon. Up that way for foodies, try Binkley's restaurant, or Talavera at the Four Seasons. There's also Greasewood Flat in the evening; great people watching and country dancing on weekends.

www.greasewoodflat.net

Enjoy the warmth; it's supposed to be in the 70's here soon - woohoo! Of course, I'll be in Denver. ::sigh::

Edited: 17 January 2013, 03:13
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

We've been through a dreadful cold spell here, but it is supposed to warm up.

Old Town/Downtown Scottsdale (They are adjacent to one another.) has loads of restaurants, shops, art galleries and nightlife. However if you rent a car (which is essential here to get around) you don't have to stay there. Lots of hotels, motels and resorts to choose from. And, Old Town/Downtown has 3 hours free parking, so you can drive there and stroll around. There is a free trolley that does a circuit through the area every 15 minutes after 11 a.m.

The Botanical Garden is a wonderful place to visit. You might also consider the Musical Instrument Museum, which showcases historical and current instruments from around the world. It is over in north Phoenix.

Cave Creek and Carefree are also good stops. Try the El Encanto for marvelous Mexican cooking. Also, Fountain Hills is just to the east. A nice park to stroll in and admire the fountain. There are shops and cafes there. You might also enjoy a run out to Saguaro Lake and a ride on the Desert Belle there.

Keep your fingers crossed for the promised warmup down here.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

Humm & ABG above have covered all the good spots to consider. I will simply cast my vote for staying in Old Town Scottsdale. There are accommodations of all types there, budget, corporate, trendy, swanky and down right expensive. You will choose based on your budget. I like The Saguaro hotel for it's trendy colors but old west inspired finishes as well as their restaurant, Distrito.

Also, when staying in Old Town Scottsdale, you will soon realize you can park you car and walk everywhere. This is especially comforting after dinner and drinks as you won't want to drive.

Use your car for day trips to all the spots recommended above and park your car at night and you will have the best of both worlds.

Finally, since you are "foodies", let me recommend: Cowboy Caio, FnB, Citizens Public House, The House Brasserie, The Praying Monk and The Mission. Pepin for Spanish cuisine and Frank & Lupe's for Mexican.

4. Re: 2 day trip to Phoenix-no golf, what to do, where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:15