We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool weather gear for April trip

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cool weather gear for April trip

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me out with where to buy jackets and other gear in Phoenix for the cooler weather? We are arriving at Sky Harbor on April 9 after flying to LAX from Australia and spending a week in LA.

We will be renting a car and driving straight to the GCNP where we are going to stay 2 nights. Then on to Sedona for 3 nights. We will not have any really warm clothes and I believe the GC can still be very cold at this time of year, especially overnight.

I have spotted a Sportsman's Warehouse at N 27th Avenue, which is just off the Interstate. Would this be a worthwhile place to try and would they still stock warm clothing in April? What about Walmart? Would they still have this type of clothing in April?

We will be nervous first time drivers in the US, so do not want to venture far off the Interstate! If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Judy

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

By April, I suspect most of the stores in Phoenix will be stocking summer/warm weather wear. You might consider trying in Flagstaff, which is on your way to Grand Canyon and part of the high country. By the time you get to Flagstaff, you should be more comfortable driving in "our" side of the road.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
218 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

I agree with ABG above. I would simply pick something up in Flagstaff.

However, most sporting goods stores (like sportsmans warehouse) will most likely have warmer style clothing year round. However, you and you travelling companions will end up looking alike as most clothing sold at Sportsman's Warehouse is plaid and looks like everything else at the store. If that's the look you are going for great, otherwise, you can wait until higher country and yes, the Walmart in Flagstaff will have a better variety. Have fun.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

Agreeing about buying coats once you're up north. You could also buy something once you get to the Grand Canyon; they have plenty of warm weather gear, and some of it might be on sale in April. I was there the first weekend in May, and lots of stuff was 50% off or more. That way, you'd also have a nice little souvenir.

You can always go to Walmart, of course; I personally don't like the quality of most of their clothing, but if you're looking for super cheap, you'll find it there. Another option in Flagstaff is the Little America Travel Center, next to the Little America hotel. They have a huge wall of sweatshirts and jackets and the like, and it's also often on sale in the spring. The Little America is easy to get to, right off the highway; the travel center truck stop is right next to it.

One other place to look, and also perhaps grab a bite to eat, is the Cracker Barrel. The food is certainly nothing fancy, but they have a little store in the restaurant, and they always have sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets/light coats in winter. And again, probably on sale in April. Last time I was there in December, they had some nice looking wool blend cape-style coats; don't know if they'd still be there in April or not. Cracker Barrel is also easy to get to, right off I-40, a mile or two East of I-17.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will check out all these options and hopefully we will find something to keep us warm.

I did find an old thread in the Flagstaff forum that suggested trying Kohls department store. I found one just off the I17, so might try there as well.

And ericksonpa...I agree that a family of four all dressed in plaid is not an ideal look!

9 weeks until we leave, and we are all getting very excited about this trip! :-)

Thanks again,

Judy

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

In November my son and I each bought a beautiful fleece jacket at the Grand Canyon that was only $29.99 and it's wonderful. Sweatshirts are in that price range too although they do have jackets and shirts that are more expensive. We ran across a young man from France who somehow thought it was always warm in AZ, even at the GC. He had shorts on and had to go to one of the gift shots and bought an Indian blanket to wrap around himself to keep warm. He obviously did not do any advance planning.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
865 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

There is a Burlington Coat Factory (it's a big store, not a factory) on Peoria just off Interstate 17 (the highway you will be taking north). We once bought warm jackets there in March in preparation for a trip to Europe. I believe that they would have things there that would be a reasonable price and would fit your needs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

Thank you Thelrose and ratinthekitchen for the extra information. I will certainly check these out as well.

Judy

8. Re: Cool weather gear for April trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:16