We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
265 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

We are coming to the Phoenix area next month. I am looking for places that offer cooking classes. I found some at Sur La Table and Sweet Basil that look interesting. We are also attending the Scottsdale Culinary Festival.

I am wondering if there are any stores or businesses that offer cooking classes more central or west valley? We are staying in the West Valley. I don't mind driving to Scottsdale but thought I would ask if there was something closer.

Thanks!

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
841 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

We used this one for a work activity and really liked it:

http://whiskedaway.net/

It is actually in someone's house. The instructor was great, she showed which knives to use, proper cutting techniques, etc. We had a group, each person focused on something different, then at the end we had a great meal to eat.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

I just spent a lot of time investigating this topic. We just booked a class at Classic Cooking Academy in Phoenix for May. Ask them about their internet special--they will probably offer it up before you even ask. (Normally $100 pp classes are $50 pp.) We are doing a five course wine pairing dinner that looks fabulous.

Happy cooking!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

In addition to the above, there are also some classes at Root Phoenix, which is a gardening/learning center on 12th St, just north of Glendale Ave. They have a variety of classes, including cooking, gardening, beer making, herbs, etc. Their classes are geared more towards a sustainable, healthy lifestyle, as opposed to a gourmet cooking class, but they're interesting nonetheless.

http://rootphoenix.com/classes/category/2

Also, Whole Foods used to have cooking "classes", although I'm not sure that you cooked all that much in the class - they did have some pretty delicious recipes. You can always check it out on their website, or by calling the Whole Foods nearest where you'll be staying.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

If nothing works out for you in the west Valley, I can recommend Sur La Table. I've done several of them in the Houston locations, and have enjoyed them all. If they are listed as hands on, they really are. The chef demonstrates and instructs, but the participants do a lot of cooking. The classes I've been to have generally been small, so there has been lots of individual attention as well. You get very detailed recipe/procedure handouts at the beginning of the class so if you want to take notes you can. Two rewards at the end--you eat some really good food (never been disappointed) and you get a coupon for a 10% discount on SLT merchandise that is good for seven days. The one downside is that if enough people don't sign up, the class could be cancelled.

Whatever you do, enjoy.

5. Re: Cooking Classes Phoenix Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 07:16