We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix? Santa Fe?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix? Santa Fe?

We are a couple from Toronto looking forward to explore Arizona, maybe New Mexico. We plan to start around beginning of September (after Labour Day) and we have 2 weeks at our disposal. My question is rather vague, but I hope I can still get some advice. We are not sure of the best way to plan this trip. Fly to Phoenix, stay a few days, then drive to the Grand Canyon, or other places, eventually travel to Santa Fe and fly back from there (not sure whether there is a flight from Santa Fe to Toronto). Or maybe take bus tours and return to Phoenix each day? Is this possible with all these enticing destinations? I have been poring over maps and I am less and less sure that I can decide what is the best way to plan and schedule this trip. Would appreciate any advice from locals or from people who have done this before and have good ideas about the best way to divide our 2 weeks. I am not great with heat; is Phoenix and the region very hot still in September?

Thank you in advance,

Kasuta

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

Bus tours and returning to PHX each day is NOT the way to tour, especially if you're sensitive to the heat. You'll want to get out of Phoenix as quickly as possible. It's still hot in September. Head north and find higher ground to get relief from the weather.

Two weeks is a good amount of time. Do some research on these destinations and consider a trip where you move onward every couple of days. Try this breakdown on for size.

Sedona 3-4 nights, GCNP south rim 1-2 nights, Page 2-3 nights, Monument Valley 1 night, Cortez 2 nights, Durango CO 2 nights, Santa Fe 2-3 nights.

You'll probably find more flight options from Albuquerque than Santa Fe.

If this general plan makes sense, start booking reservations ASAP. If not, tell us why, and tell us what you THINK you want to do on this trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

Hello RedRox,

Thank you for the prompt and clear response to my query. You already gave us a very good start in thinking about this trip. We will be definitely considering leaving Phoenix upon arrival and driving to Sedona. I will pick up again my maps and information and look at the region based on your suggestions. I will probably come up soon with more detailed inquiries.

Thanks and good night,

Kasuta

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

RedRox gave you a great route. Not sure I would want to stay in Cortez 2 nights. Maybe consider to stay in Mesa Verde NP at Far Views Lodge instead.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

I agree about Cortez. In Durango, you can take a ride on the Durango-Silverton Railroad, an old narrow gauge line that used to bring the ore out of the mountains. It is roughly a full-day activity, but worth it. Lots of great scenery plus you get a couple of hours in Silverton, an old mining town. From Durango, suggest you go east over Wolf Creek pass and through southern Colorado to Alamosa then down through Taos. Might want to spend a day or two there. Then Santa Fe.

I am not really sure Santa Fe has an airport. It might have one for private planes, but for airlines you will need to go down to Albuquerque.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

No non-stops Santa Fe - YYZ. Stops in DENVER or DFW.. ditto for albuquerque which also has stops DEN or DFW. (at least no non-stops at this time for mid-september).

Is Las Vegas an option?

This is for Sept 15 - I just picked any date after Labor Day.

6. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 02:05
7. Re: Phoenix? Santa Fe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 07:16