We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical customs wait times at PHX?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Typical customs wait times at PHX?

I'm flying on United coming back from Puerto Vallarta on a Tuesday arriving at 3:10pm. My connecting flight back to San Francisco leaves at 4:50pm giving me 1 hour and 40 minutes to clear customs, recheck my baggage, and go though security again. Will I have enough time?

Edited: 14 April 2013, 19:51
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

Are you using the same airline to get back to SF?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

Yes, flying United back to SFO

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

Are you sure you are flying United and not US Air? The only arrivals I can find from PV are US Air. All United arrivals are from within the US. Also, United uses both Terminal 2 and 4. If you are flying strictly United, you should not have to get your luggage. It should go to the connecting flight. You might want to double check your reservation.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

United has a code share agreement with USAirways. If this is the case you will land in the latter's terminal, which I think is Terminal 3.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

It is US Air

Sorry about that - I'm booking the flight though United but the flight is on their partner airline

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

You must determine if you switch to a United flight in Phoenix. If so, you will have to change terminals. Adds time. Since I am not familiar with PHX customs, I cannot advise as to time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

My connecting flight is also on US Air

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

Good news!! US Air uses Terminal 4, exclusively I think. That is also the International Terminal where you go through customs. Not sure if you bag will have to be rechecked. You will have lots of walking, though.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,776 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

When arriving and deplaning to go through customs, you have to pick up your bag, go through customs and recheck them. There are exceptions in some departing cities where US Customs is present and checks bags, but no idea if PV is one of those. Luggage in most international locations is not checked through to the final destination unless it is the first point of arrival in the US.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
156 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typical customs wait times at PHX?

I recently went through customs through the International gates in terminal 4, it was very quick.