We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on travel from Phoenix to LA

new hampshire
Level Contributor
300 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
question on travel from Phoenix to LA

Traveling from PHX to LA (actually Huntington Beach area) and know I can go via Rte 10 but wondered if anyone has a more back roads route. Looking at google maps there are some other rtes but not sure what the trip would be like.

So if anyone out there has alternative scenic routes send them my way.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

Not sure about scenery because it is mainly desert between Phoenix and LA, and the landscape all looks pretty much the same.. Also if you are traveling in summer, the fastest route (I-10) is the best. It gets very hot through there.

That said, you might enjoy taking the US 60 west out of Phoenix. That is the old route to LA. It goes NW to Wickenburg then heads SW toward a junction with I-10 near the state line at Quartzite.

If you are seeking more adventure, you can go north off US 60 on State Route 95 toward Parker, which is close to the state line. In the Parker area, go west on State Route 62. It meanders through the desert before joining 1-10 over in the Palm Springs area. I have never gone this route so I can't vouch for the condition of the road or the scenery.

Once you get around Riverside, you might consider taking State Route 91 that angles off to the SW towards Orange County and Huntington Beach. Some sections may be a toll road, and there is loads of traffic, but you bypass LA.

Good Luck.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

I suggest using the freeway system to get outta LA ! to vary the desert drive I have opted for the 62 a number of times...Mostly 2 lane & truck free...From Parker, drive the 95/72 to the cutoff South to the I-10... Wickenburg into Phoenix, is stop & go ... Takes forever... carracar

Edited: 14 June 2013, 15:04
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

The 60 is scenic and truck free. The road to Parker is equally good. After that it is terra incognito for me.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

Once you get into CA you could take hwy 74 from Palm Desert over the mountains to Hemet, then thru the flatlands and over the coastal mountains from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano.

From there either take Interstate 5/405 up to HB, or from Dana Point take PCH thru Laguna and Newport to HB.

Another option is when you get to Chiriaco Summit on I-10, take the exit to Joshua Tree National Park, and enter the park at the Cottonwood entrance and drive thru the park to the west entrance at the town of Joshua Tree. Then take hwy 62 back to I-10.At Chiriaco Summit is the General Patton museum.

www.nps.gov/jotr

If you want to just break up the drive with an activity, consider stopping in Palm Springs and riding the tram to the top of the mountain.

www.pstramway.com

Edited: 14 June 2013, 16:16
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

I also like the drive on Hwy 74 in CA. We've done it on visits to Temecula and to Manhattan Beach. Have not taken it through the Lake Elsinore area and beyond. Lots of twists and turns but it sure breaks up the monotony of the interstate.

6. Re: question on travel from Phoenix to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18