We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

barbados
Level Contributor
330 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Good afternoon. Would be grateful for suggestions of routes to drive from PHX to Las Vegas with an overnight stay (or even 2) enroute. Hoping for scenic views, perhaps a unique place to spend the night but not keen on steep drop offs if possible (i.e. Pacific Coast Highway... beautiful but I found it scary in places!). Many thanks for any suggestions.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Wickenburg is an authentic Old West town of the cowboy sort. It has a ghost town, gold mine and a western museum. Kingman has a very authentic old time rail road downtown. It also has a very good Mexican Restaurant at El Palacio.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Drive straight through, it's only 4-5 hours depending on what part of town you leave from.

Take the Carefree Highway (74) to Wickenburg and jump on the 93. That will take you the whole way.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

There are basically two routes from Phoenix to Las Vegas - US 93 from Wickenburg all the way to LV or I-17 out of Phoenix to Flagstaff then 1-40 west to Kingman where you pick up 93. It is at most an 8-hour drive. Wickenburg is roughly an hour out of Phoenix, and there isn't much between Wickenburg and Kingman, Going to Flagstaff then across to Kingman would provide more places to stop.

You may have one problem - the new bridge over the Colorado River at Boulder Dam; it goes over a very deep river gorge. To avoid it, you could go west just north of Kingman and head for Bullhead City then continue on to pick up I-15 into Las Vegas.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

You could drive straight through, but then you would miss everything on the way. That doesn't seem to be what you are asking for. I suggest you stop and take a look at a couple of authentic Old West towns if you have the time and interest.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

There is a third route that would nicely utilize two days...As above, to Wickenburg ... Then hop on the 89 up the "hill" to Prescott... There is some mild, mtn.driving here... Spend the night in Prescott... In the morning continue on the 89 to Ash Fork & the I-40 to Seligman & the "Old Rt. 66" into Kingman... Make your choice into Vegas ,from there... carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,818 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Most scenic route with two over night stops would be I-17 to Sedona for the night. Then move on via 89A up to Flagstaff and on to the Grand Canyon NP via Cameron and the east entry gate and stay over night at the GCNP. Then it's 5 hours to LV on day three.

When do you plan to do this? Getting advance reservations at GCNP is critical.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

When people even mention Prescott, they always just suggest you stop in and look on the way elsewhere. The real treasure in Prescott is to spend the night. That way you can take in the entire Whiskey Row experience all evening long. Stroll from one authentic swinging door saloon to the next. Have a drink with all the local cowboys and listen to the live band country/western music. You can't do that if you just pop in for a look during the day.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

The Sedona route would involve drop-offs that do scare some people.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,818 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

The drop offs are minor. Nothing compared to PCH.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

As far as The Pat Tillman bridge that bypasses the Hoover Dam, you cannot see over the side when you are driving in a car. The barriers prevent that.

I don't find the drive to be interesting nor scenic, so I stand by my recommendation to go straight to Vegas.