We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Arriving in Phoenix area in 11 days. Are Travelers cheques still accepted at most places? Just don't want to carry around a lot of cash. Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Be prepared to find businesses that won't accept travelers checks. Some might not even recognize what they are. That's not to say that you shouldn't use them. I would plan to cash them at your hotel service counter. Confirm in advance that you can do so. The alternative is to cash them at a local bank. Then carry cash for sundries each day.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

If you have a debit or credit card, that is really the best solution. I haven't used travelers checks when traveling for about 30 years.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

For travellers from outside USA, use of conventional debit or credit cards can be quite expensive. Better exchange rates are often obtained on pre-paid cards. These have largely replaced travellers cheques.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Use ATM. They are everywhere.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

I would not agree that the x rate is less favorable when using a foreign issued CC, the OP should check with the issuing bank, what the conditions are. I do agree that a CC is the best solution for the USA, as everyone accepts CCs. Do have some cash for emergencies and such.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Hubby & I used travelers checks on our first visit to Arizona 4 years ago. We were in Snowflake, AZ at a Pizza Hut and the cashier did not have a clue what they were...granted, she was young. The manager did not know if Pizza Hut accepted them, so they had to call corporate to see if they could accept....they did, after a good 20 minute coverasation and wait on our end. Then, we needed gas, 2 different gas stations would not accept travelers checks. So, bottom line, that was our last time with them. We now use our credit card (we get awards points) for everything and just transfer the $$ to pay it off when we get home....it is a lot easier, quicker and safer.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Sorry Vapoforever, but Travelers Checks are NOT accepted everywhere. Ranman22 has been given some good choices already but I would not depend on them alone. I have seen several places refuse them in the past couple of years.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
855 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Thelrose, Vapoforever said that credit cards were accepted everywhere, not travelers' checks.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

Sorry, my mistake. Read it too quickly and just assumed it was travelers checks. BTW - I was quite surprised that Cameron Trading Post was one of the places I saw turn down travelers checks.

10. Re: Are Travellers Checks still accepted most places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18