We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

I was just wondering if we should get a hotel

Room in downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale? We're looking to go wherever has the better night scene. 3 guys on a road trip through the US in our late 20s. Any suggestions on the most popular spots in those places are welcome. Thanks

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,457 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

Downtown Scottsdale. Definitely not downtown Phoenix.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

Old Town/Downtown Scottsdale, but mind your manners.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

Why do you say mind your manners? Seems like curious advice. I mean of course I always do as that's how I was raised. Anyways thanks. That's what I thought.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

The nightlife scene in Old Town/Downtown can get rowdy at times.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 16:34
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

We can deal with rowdy. And no worries with us. We exude the Canadian stereotype of polite and apologetic. But thanks for the heads up.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

To help you, here are some tips. Get a Google map of Scottsdale handy.

The Entertainment District with the nightlife is mainly east of Scottsdale Road and south of Camelback. Old Town is south of Indian School and east of Scottsdale Road. It has a Civic Mall and is mainly souvenir shops with some bars and cafes. Downtown is west of Scottsdale Road and runs generally from just south of Indian School north to Camelback. There is a free trolley that makes a circuit of the entire area running about every 15 minutes after 11 a.m. You can check out the area of places you might want to visit.

There are numerous hotels in the area, but they can be expensive. There are less expensive motels on Indian School, Camelback and Scottsdale Road. They get decent reviews here on TripAdvisor in the Scottsdale Hotel Listings. Check that out.

Some places I like in the area are Los Olivos, a Mexican restaurant I have frequented for more than 30 years. AZ88 on the Civic Mall; serves good burgers and sandwiches. The Rusty Spur in Old Town has a bit of an Old West ambiance and serves a good bowl of chili.

Have fun.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

That's all great advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to write that all out for me. Ill get the ol map out and make some notes based on what you've said there. Seeing as your so informed. Any opinions on tuscon? We're thinking of splitting time between the two places if its worth it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

Tucson is well worth some time. It has the University of Arizona that is near downtown. You might like the campus environment, and there are a few brew pubs nearby. My time at the UofA was in the '60s so I am not really up to date on the nightlife. Besides the UofA, you might like to take a look at San Xavier Mission, south of town, and the Desert Museum and Old Tucson to the west. Old Tucson is where a number of interesting Western movies have been filmed. A bit over an hour drive east and south are Tombstone and Bisbee, historic mining towns still kicking. Down that way is Kartchner Cavern, which is very interesting. You are very close to the Mexico border, but I would advise against going over in Nogales. Many delays and not that interesting any more. If you are interested, though, south of Bisbee is Naco on both sides of the border. We came through there a couple of years ago. It seemed like a decent place.

Tucson is roughly a 2-hour drive from Phoenix/Scottsdale on I-10.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

just a tad off topic here....but....

it's nice to hear of a modest, respectful young man, vic.

I do run into respectful 'younger' folks (and I ain't that old) on occasion...but it's usually the opposite all too often lately.

nicely done....and don't forget to tip your servers, my Canadian friends!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we stay downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale for better nightli

I asked my son (25 yo, professional, has sweet townhouse near Old Town) his favorite places to party. His response:

"You are looking for the best clubs to go to for guys? I think the best places are Maya, The Mint, Smashboxx, and El Hefe. All of these places are near each other and rock at night. Good music, expensive drinks, lots of girls and dancing."

Hope this helps!