We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

I thought I would post a new thread since my plans have changed.

So we arrive in Phoenix in January on a Friday, we immediately stay at Holiday Inn at the airport due to the late arrival ( using points) 3320 S. 48th st.

Next day I have a car rental pick up scheduled from Avis at 4469 E.Thomas Road by Arcadia Crossing Sears Auto Center for 2 days @$78

So I found a Taxi rate website and it looks to be around $15 fare from the Holiday Inn to Avis.

Then the following 2 nights we are staying at Homewood Suites 2001 E. Highland Avenue ( again with points)

To return the car on Monday evening and return to the hotel is around $20 taxi fare then

to get to the airport next morning their shuttle can take us up to 5 mile radius and can connect with the Lightrail at Central & Camelback or taxi for $22

This is not the best set up and am looking for suggestions since I can change the hotel so that it is closer to the Light rail metro and perhaps closer to the car rental. ( which I can also try to change)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
922 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

I thought that the Fairfield Inn, which you earlier looked at, which is ON the light rail and practically across the street from the Heard Museum, was a much better choice. There is an Enterprise desk at the Hyatt downtown which is a couple of blocks from the light rail. You can also get to the Fairfield Inn from the airport on the light rail.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Unfortunately , I used my Marriott points for our Hawaii stay. So I am stuck with Hilton points good for 2 nights.

I have looked at Enterprise and all are closed on Sunday.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 17:11
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Made a mistake on arrival day is actually a Saturday night.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,797 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

With all those taxi fares, why not just rent the car at Sky Harbor when you arrive and return it when you leave?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
922 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Have you checked out the Hilton Phoenix Suites at Central and Thomas? More or less the same neighborhood as the Fairfield Inn. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn about 3/4 mile north of there. Both are convenient to the Metro light rail line. The Enterprise desk at the Hyatt is open 9-noon on Sunday.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

OK, checking the other Hiltons out.. for the car rental do you mean the Hyatt at 122 North Second Street?

Edited: 31 August 2013, 18:50
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
922 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Yes

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Enterprise Car rental from Hyatt or airport for 2 days.. Sunday 10 am to Monday 5 pm.. $155~ ouch

Original cost I have for Avis quoted $78 not sure how much more is going to be added since I have been reading about all the extra insurance and other stuff these car rental agencies are charging.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 20:02
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

I agree with Rat's suggestion of the Hilton at Thomas and Central. It's a nice hotel, and is very close to the light rail stop. I'm also with RR - you have such a short time here; I personally think it would be worth a few extra bucks to simply rent a car at the airport and be done with it. However, if you really are trying to save every penny, then perhaps renting at the Hyatt Regency downtown is a good option; you can take the light rail there, although you'll be walking a couple of blocks to get to the Hyatt.

Again, keep in mind the amount of time you'll be wasting by changing hotels, using the light rail, walking to the Hyatt to get your car, waiting in line, etc., etc, and then doing it all again Monday evening. You basically only have 2 days, which isn't much time in the first place. You have quite a few things on your "to see" list, and not nearly enough time to actually do everything. The Heard Museum and the MIM can take the better part of a day if you want to see all of the exhibits, especially when you consider travel time, etc. (Although, do plan to have lunch at the MIM - great food!)

Hope it all works out for you, and enjoy your trip!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Logistics with car rental, taxi & light rail usage

Just saw post #8 - unfortunately, you're here when car rental rates are at their highest. Keep looking for deals, including those with travel clubs such as AAA, if you're a member, or Costco, etc. Also, sometimes those "Entertainment" books have coupons for a free weekend day.

For other car rental tips, do a search on the Arizona forum for "car rental airpot" or "car rental off airport"