We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does this look

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
How does this look

After perusing this forum for a while I have penciled in an itinerary and it looks like this

We arrive Mon. Oct 21 in the afternoon, we are staying at the Legacy Golf Resort so day one is check in,get supplies and familiarize ourself with the facility

Tue Oct 22- easy morning & day ,hang by the pool, around of golf and a hockey game at night

Wed. Oct 23-visit Desert Botanical Gardens and Heard Museum

Thur. Oct. 24- Scottsdale for retail therapy and a look see around- hopefully some live music and a beverage or two at Martini Ranch

Fri Oct. 25- Maybe Dolly Steamboat in the day and Lion King at Gammage Theatre at night

Sat Oct. 26 is open and un scheduled

Sun Oct. 27 check and head to Tuscon for a brief 3 day visit

Any thoughts on this over all and suggestions on a good pre Theatre dinner establishment on Friday

This is my fourth trip to the fine state of Arizona the previous 3 have been to Sedona (which I love) and a side trip to Tombstone so I thought I would check out Phoenix for a few days and Tuscon as well

Thanx in advance for your input

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does this look

Your itinerary looks pretty good. The only thing I'd change is going to Martini Ranch - there are much better places to get a drink in Scottsdale. (And the clientele leaves a lot to be desired, some nights.) Below is a link to a list of places with live music. If you like wine and jazz, try Kazimierz. If you want to try some really interesting new drinks, head to Citizen R&D, which is a tiny bar above the restaurant Citizen Public House - no music there, though. And since you're going on a Thursday and not a Friday or Saturday, check your chosen venue's music schedule ahead of time.

www.livemusicearth.com/neighborhoods.asp…

Beyond that, you might consider adding the Musical Instrument Museum in North Phoenix. You could go there on Saturday morning, and combine it with a trip to Cave Creek and Carefree. Both towns have unique shops and several good restaurants.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does this look

I agree with Hummingbird that you might want to pass on Martini Ranch. I also endorse the Musical Instrument Museum and Cave Creek and Carefree.

Before heading for Gammage, you might like to dine at Monti's in Tempe. It is a historic place with good steaks.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does this look

In Tempe, we like House of Tricks (not a magic place, that's their last name), Cafe Boa and then Rula Bula pub house.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does this look

Doing Dolly then going to Tempe may be a bit much in the same day. Looks like 45 min each way from your hotel to Saguaro Lake (where Dolly is). Certainly do-able, especially if you head out to the lake early, I'd suggest just after morning rush hour (9am or so).

If you want an interesting diversion, on your way back go north on Bush Hwy to the Beeline, then take it south to Shea Blvd and pop though Fountain Hills. There's a few decent restaurants (although overpriced) near the fountain. If the weather is nice, you can sit outside to eat. I'm not sure of the fountain schedule, but if it goes during the day, that would be a nice stop.

I don't see anything on your itinerary about South Mountain. Being so close to there it would be a shame not to drive up. It is quite scenic with several lookouts along the way.

Your hotel is also very close to The Farm at South Mountain. So long as the weather is nice, I'd highly recommend lunch there. In the same area (and I believe run by the same people) is The House at Secret Garden, another great local restaurant.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does this look

Oh, and nearly forgot... for going to Gammage, I'd suggest just parking and taking the light rail. We saw Wicked there a year or so ago...parking before the show was fine, but leaving after took quite a while. It is about a 10 min walk to the closest light rail station, and Price/Apache has a large park & ride.

The restaurants mentioned are all great--love House of Tricks! Since it is a Friday, I'd definitely have a reservation if going there. But since I used to work in Tempe, I like Tavern on Mill, so long as it isn't crazy busy. They have great meal specials, along with good drink specials. But it can get busy with ASU students and local office workers.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does this look

Thank you all for your recommendations, the info is very helpful

I will scratch Martini Ranch and review the others listed and check out the link provided

I am considering cave creek and carefree

Good to know about South Mountain we will for sure take a cruise about

thanx again

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does this look

Just checked out House Of Tricks on line,now that is what I am talking about !

Those are the kind of places I love to support

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does this look

>Doing Dolly then going to Tempe may be a bit much in the same day. Looks like 45 min each way from your hotel to Saguaro Lake (where Dolly is).

I've lived here since the 70s and never heard of this Dolly Steamboat deal, but when I looked it up it is apparently on Canyon Lake, not Saguaro Lake.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does this look

I guess I was confused, I forgot there was a boat from Canyon Lake, I just assumed he/she meant Desert Belle at Saguaro:

http://www.desertbelle.com/

The drive to Canyon Lake is much more scenic, but the Fountain Hills add-on would be a bit further from there. You wouldn't really have to worry about rush hour, since you'd be going against traffic on the US 60 outbound.

10. Re: How does this look

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:17