We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about rush hour traffic. I'll be arriving at Sky Harbor at around 5:30pm. I have a friend arriving at the same airport at around 8pm. Rather than hang around, I was thinking that I'd get our rental car and check into our hotel and then I can head back to the airport to pick her up and not have to waste time doing all that stuff after she's arrived. Our hotel is in North Scottsdale, though - so a bit of a commute to go back and forth. The trip is 30 mins with no traffic, but just wondering what the traffic is like on the 202 and 101 at that time of day and if this plan would be worthwhile, or if I am better off hanging out at the airport?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

Traffic can be a nightmare that time of day. Which hotel have you booked?

I recommend getting your bags, getting your rental car, and then either wait for your friend in the cell phone lot, or park in the parking garage at the Terminal and hang out at one of the restaurants or peruse the art installations. (Or conversely, if you don't want to pay for parking for an hour or more, then first get your bags, then hang out awhile in the Terminal, and then go get your rental car. By that time, you shouldn't have to wait too long in the free cell phone lot.)

Either way, by the time you get your bags and rental car, you'll have used up anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, so you may not have to wait that much longer for your friend. It just doesn't make sense to fight traffic that time of day.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 20:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

Yeah, I just looked at the map of the airport, and I now realize they have the new rental car center (used to be able to rent right in the terminal before this) and I've read complaints online about how time consuming this can be. I think waiting at the airport is a better plan - thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

I concur with Hummingbird. By the time, you get your luggage and pick up the rental you probably will not have adequate time to get to North Scottsdale, check in and get back to airport. Parking in the parking garage and going into the terminal to have a cup of coffee is a relaxing alternative. Then you should be a good mood to enjoy your stay. Good luck.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

"Then you should be a good mood to enjoy your stay..."

Lol, exactly! Been there, done that with literally just sitting in traffic during rush hour, after picking up people from the airport. Not fun, and NOT relaxing!

5. Re: Traffic this Friday at around 6pm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:18