We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Trying to plan a spring break trip for family of 4 (son 13, daughter 11). My daughter loves horses so we are thinking about 2 nights at Tanque Verde (3/15-3/17) and then maybe 4 nights in Phoenix for baseball. We don't have a particular team to watch for Cactus league (Braves fans) but the boys love baseball. Based on posts, it looks like Salt River, Scottsdale and Tempe Diablo should be on the list. Sound good? Any advice on convenient family hotel - would like to keep rate under $150-175 since dude ranch will eat into our budget. Sorry the request is vague but I don't know the area and it looks like I need to book something quickly. Alos, is it realistic to add an overnight to the Grand Canyon? Thanks for the help!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

You might want to look at Peoria. You will be less than an hour away from Wickenberg which is probably the most authentic old west town in AZ. It has been called the "Dude Ranch Capital of the World." Very easy to get to for horse back riding and other events.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

There's a Days Inn literally across the street from Salt River Fields and it underwent a major renovation a year or two ago. You can safely walk across the street to the ballpark - in fact that's how many people go. Salt River Fields also has 'lawn seating', which puts you almost in the game in right field and is perfect for a picnic.

Also, you might want to consider flipping your stay and putting baseball first...Spring Training only goes to the end of March, and later games tend to sell out.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Great suggestion on the Days Inn on Pima Road. Salt River Field has the advantage that both the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies train and play their games there so usually you have a game everyday and no commuting to see a variety of teams. There are several chain restaurants just south of the Days Inn at the Pavillions. Then there are more just up the 101 along Shea Blvd. There is also a new Courtyard at Chapparal south on Pima Road a couple of miles. Just keep in mind, you are coming during the peak tourist season here so room rates are high.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Thanks for the suggestions. Sound like a great area to stay. The Days Inn is sold out for March. Evidently the Diamondbacks stay there. Courtyard is available but a little over my budget as you predicted. I may have to adjust my budget. Should I look for other hotels on Pima Road? What about SpringHill Suites, Tempe - is that a good location and hotel?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,263 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

I suggest that you book accommodations ASAP. Rates will only increase as availability disappears. During spring training every hotel, even the worst, command their highest rates and they do sell out.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

The Springhill Suites would be quite a distance from the Salt River Fields, although there would be freeway most of the way. The Springhill is close to Tempe Diablo Stadium, not sure who trains there. Might be the Angels.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Salt River, and Camelback Ranch are by far the best spring training facilities.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

Everyone has their favorite park or parks for any number of reasons.

Since the OP has no particular preference as to parks or teams, I suggested a locale where they are more likely to find a vacancy. Other than around the Cubs, you are most likely to find NO vacancy around the D-Backs and the Giants. Peoria is close to horses and available hotel rooms. Tempe Diablo Stadium is home to the Angels. There may still be availabilities around there as well. I would also look for hotels between Maryvale and Avondale. It IS getting late.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 22:15
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

You may also want to look at extended stay hotels around 90th street and Shea Blvd. There is a TownePlace Sutes on 90th st and a Country Inn & Suites on 89th pl and a La Quinta right around there. It's close to several casual dining places and it's a 5-minute drive straight down the freeway to Salt River Fields.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dude Ranch/Spring Training with Family

I agree with looking around 90th St. and Shea. You might also go to Priceline and look at the available hotels using their "Map View" feature. It's an easy way to see which hotels in your price range are also near your chosen baseball venue.

In regard to dude ranches, you might also look at White Stallion Ranch, which is near Tucson. They offer lots of fun family activities, and the staff is excellent. Whichever dude ranch you choose, do book sooner rather than later.

http://www.whitestallion.com/

You asked about the Grand Canyon; you can certainly add an overnight there, preferably near the end of your trip. Just be sure you have enough time to drive from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix, if your flight out is the same day. Also keep an eye on the weather forecast, as it does snow at the GC in March. The advice about booking is the same as for all the other venues; book a room inside the Grand Canyoun Nat'l Park ASAP, via Xanterra.

www.xanterra.com

For more GC tips:

www.nps.gov/grca

Edited: 06 January 2014, 02:54