We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free day in Phoenix

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Free day in Phoenix

Found out I will have a free day in Phoenix when there in March. Already have plans to visit Sedona for an overnight earlier in the week. What suggestions do the experienced have for my free day? Have considered doing a day tour to Grand Canyon, will not have a car at that time. But, I'm open to less frequented ideas as well, as have seen the Grand Canyon in my youth. Am not interested in helicopter or balloon rides at this point.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 21:23
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free day in Phoenix

Grand Canyon is a bit too far for a day trip even if you have a car.

Also without a car, you will have a hard time getting around the Phoenix area. Public transit is abysmal. You should consider renting a car during your free day to get around town.

Where are you staying while you are here? That will help in providing ideas. Among the many interesting sites are the Desert Botanical Garden, Musical Instrument Museum, Heard Museum, Pueblo Grande, Old Town/Downtown Scottsdale, Arizona State University and the fountain at Fountain Hills.

When you are in Sedona, you might enjoy a visit to the nearby Jerome, a funky old mining town, or a ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad, which runs out of Clarkdale.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free day in Phoenix

I will be staying at the Hyatt downtown. I do not have a problem with doing a day tour; in fact, thought that might be best idea. Was looking at some and thought the Apache Trail tour sounded interesting.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free day in Phoenix

The Apache Trail is very interesting, but I am not sure there are tours that go out there. Also, the Trail is only paved to Tortilla Flat and Canyon Lake. There is a boat on Canyon Lake, and a boat ride is spectacular.

At the Hyatt in Downtown Phoenix, you are a block or two from the Light Rail, public transit that will take you north up Central Avenue past the Phoenix Art Museum and Heard Museum and east into Tempe and Mesa. It is a good way to get a glimpse of the Phoenix area, but other places would require a car.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,565 posts
1,135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free day in Phoenix

+1 for the Desert Botanic Gardens.

Much more interesting, than some might imagine.

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,565 posts
1,135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free day in Phoenix

OK, from the Hyatt downtown, I will once again "second" a rec. +1 for the Heard Museum. It's great on so many levels, and much there is not likely to be experienced anywhere else.

Hunt

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free day in Phoenix

The Dale Chihuly glass art exhibit at the Desert Botanical Gardens is not to be missed. Make sure that your camera is charged and has plenty of card space.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free day in Phoenix

That sounds great. Can you share some of your pictures with us?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free day in Phoenix

https:/…

This file is from the last tour, several years ago. I understand that most of these pieces are included in the current event.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free day in Phoenix

So there is "Snow on the Roof" RedRox without the hat.

Those first few pics make me want Mexican food with lots of peppers!

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free day in Phoenix

Gorgeous pics. At least I have quite a few choices, so thanks for all the suggestions.