We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Hi! We are staying in Phoenix for the week, but are interested in easy day trips with our 4 kids. Grand Canyon is too far from what I've been reading on Trip Advisor today. How about Sedona? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking forward to sunshine and outdoor activities. Ages of kids are 13,11,8,4. Thanks!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Absolutely Sedona and book a Pink Jeep tour, they will love it.

There are hikes all over the valley that are lovely this time of year, for all levels of exertion: www.scottsdaleaz.gov/trails, look at those in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.

If you like movies, check out the luxurious IPIC at Scottsdale Quarter.

If you are into cars we have multiple auto auctions now, with Barrett Jackson the biggest. Into music? Look at the world class Musical Instrument Museum.

Montezuma Castle and a Well are excellent national monuments of local Sinagua Indian ruins, just up I-17 near Sedona.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Hi Deborah R - welcome to the TA forums!

Kids would probably enjoy a trip up the Apache Trail - stop at Goldfield Ghost Town for a taste of the old west then go on to Tortilla Flat. Lunch and ice cream can be had at either place. Did this with my son one year and we really enjoyed it.

http://www.goldfieldghosttown.com/

http://www.tortillaflataz.com/index.html

Pioneer Living History Village is another good spot for kids - it's off I-17 in north Phoenix if you are up that way. http://www.pioneeraz.org/

Love the idea of Pink Jeep tour in Sedona and Montezuma Castle, too :)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

You might also enjoy Prescott, the original Territorial Capitol of Arizona, and Jerome, an old mining town that almost became a ghost town. If you go to Sedona, you might like a ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad, which runs out of Clarkdale.

Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Does the Verde railroad offer shorter rides? Unless I misunderstood website, it appears rides are 4 hours long? This may be a bit much for the 4 year old. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've never been to AZ before.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Are you in Phoenix right now? You might find the weather nicer in Wickenburg than some of the other suggestions. It is probably the most authentic old west town in AZ, and will be easier to move your gang around in than other options. You can walk around the old town, horseback ride, see a gold mine and ghost town, visit the cowboy museum, have some hand made ice cream and lots of other things. It is an easy 1 hour drive away.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

Your four year old would enjoy McCormick Stillman Railroad Park....train rides, carousel, playground, train museum and more...the rides are probably too young for your big kids, but the park is a lovely setting for a picnic...some gift shops, snack bar and lots to explore, would definitely work for a family outing.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 14:30
Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

no, not in Phoenix right now. End of March. Trying to find a place large enough for 6 people. Having reservations about staying at the Hilton Squaw Peak based on reviews on TA. Now looking at Arizona Grand or Hyatt at Gainey Ranch. Any suggestions?? The kids would love waterside in addition to pools.

8. Re: Day trips from Phoenix with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18