We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Way Car Rental

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
253 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
One Way Car Rental

Planning a trip in July - landing in PHX, heading to Sedona, Grand Canyon and on to LA. Flying back home out of LAX.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on getting a decent one-way car rental price? So far, the lowest I have found is $860 but most places I check around over $1,000 for the 10 days.

Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Way Car Rental

You should be able to NEGOTIATE a better rate than that directly with the rental people. Work your way up the food chain. At that time of year they are almost willing to pay people to get the cars out of Phoenix and over to the balmy beach towns.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,585 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Way Car Rental

Try National. One of their agents posted here a few months ago that they don't have one way rates, i.e. no dropoff charge. I've not checked that out.

If doesn't work out, flying from, PHX to LA would be cheaper.

The only time that I have ever been able to negotiate car rental is at the counter. I think you want to know ahead of time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Way Car Rental

I have negotiated many times over the phone. As I said, work your way up.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Way Car Rental

They typically do drive-away deals from Arizona in April, anywhere from $5-20 per day for smaller car types. I've done this twice from Phoenix (including last year), returning both times to San Francisco (though LA is usually an option also), and it worked out well. I believe this past year, Hertz had theirs going until late June, so you may be able to work out something there. Just watch the "Deals" section of their web site. One's up there now, but for coming in to Arizona. Budget and Avis also do them every year, with Dollar and Thrifty doing them occasionally.

You're pretty far out for a June reservation anyway. Keep checking and the rates will likely become more competitive. There will be rentals available in Phoenix at that time. Not many people come to Phoenix in June.

Good luck!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
253 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Way Car Rental

Thanks for the replies. The deal I have now for $860 is from National and it does include a $250 drop fee! I used a discount code - without the discount code, there is no drop fee but the rate is $1,100. Nice! I will keep checking the sites for deals!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 20:18
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Way Car Rental

What size car? What exact dates? Airport to airport? I use discount codes from USAA or AARP, but there are lots around. I've gotten decent deals through airlines, too (American has worked best for us). Your rate sounds good. PHX airport's facility fees are higher than most I've seen. As you've found, the lack of a separately-marked drop-off fee doesn't necessarily mean a lower overall price.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
253 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Way Car Rental

We are flying into PHX on 7/17 on Southwest and departing LAX on 7/27. Looking for at least a midsize as we are a family of 4.

Thanks!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
253 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Way Car Rental

Well.... I just looked reversing our whole trip and starting at LAX and I can get a car for about $480 going the other direction. So, just may do that - good thing Southwest has no change fees!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Way Car Rental

With bags, I'd consider a full-size. In my experience, what is called mid-size now used to be compact. Look at the exact vehicle before you accept it. Change if necessary.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 15:53
10. Re: One Way Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20