We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Phoenix

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Phoenix

Is America Car Rental any good?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

General advice for PHX is to stick with the majors, especially if you intend to be going out of town.

Osage Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

I agree, stick with the majors. Recently rented from Payless at Sky Harbor airport. Bad experience. The counter people are using high pressure sales techniques to try to add things to the rental that you don't need. They will tell you that you have to buy liability insurance and that you need a six cylinder car to get to Sedona, etc. Don't rent from Payless!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

Expect pressure for add ons from every vendor. Know what you're doing and say no to everything, assuming that your own insurance extends to rentals. You don't need a big high powered car to get to Sedona or the GC.

Service is the key. If you break down or have a problem outside the local PHX region, the small companies aren't able to give you any help. You'll be on your own.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

A search for past comments on TA about this firm show nothing. Which means nobody has heard of them. Check with Better Business Bureau for past complaints.

Red Oak, Texas, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

Payless at Skyharbor Phoenix Airport is horrible...they tried to force me to get insurance at $25+ more per day....I travel all the time, my original booked charge was going to be $258 for a week...turned out to be $405...I walked away...went to Alamo...walked up to desk and asked for a car...got a standard for a week at $300! Payless also said there was a new rule in Arizona you had to have insurance and I needed to show my insurance card from my personal autos.......what a bunch of crap that is! Stay away from Payless, the big guys charge less with no hassels!!! I am reporting them to the BBB of Arizona and writing to their headquarters about these high pressure tactics!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

Hi,

We're spending a long weekend in Scottsdale area, haven't stayed in the area before, and figure we'll need to rent a car to get to Spring Training games. We have tix for Cubs and Brewers. Many cities have an airport shuttle that takes you to offsite car rental companies which are cheaper than renting right at the airport. Is that the case at SkyHarbor? Can anyone recommend a good rental company? Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

I need the same information! Any help is appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

There are plenty of off site rental offices. Choose carefully. You'll need to use a taxi or hotel shuttle to get to them and they'll have limited hours and inventory. Sometimes the savings are worth it. Sometimes not.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

Ok, so the airport shuttle that I remember seeimg people take to the parking lot doesn't go to the rental places? Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Phoenix

The airport shuttle goes ONLY to the rental car center at Sky Harbor. It is away from the terminal buildings but still part of the Sky Harbor complex. That facility houses all of the rental companies and is open 24/7.

My previous post referred to off site rental desks scattered throughout the Valley. No free shuttles to those.