We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

Heading to Phoenix in April with a 12 year old boy, will do the zoo and the science museum. He wants to ride a mechanical bull. I read that the Rawhide at the Wild Horse has a mechanical bull, but the ratings seem poor. Any other suggestions for some fun adventures for my son?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

I can't believe any place would let a twelve year old ride a mechanical bull. One word...insurance.

Take him to the batting cage to see if he can hit the fast ball. Go to Octane GoCart track for some fast but safe racing. Get horses at the stables at South Mountain, the largest city park in the world, and ride the trails. Then see Mystery Castle. Have a cowboy steak there when you are done. Take the tour of Chase Park and then take in an MLB game. Lazar Tag. There are a million things for a twelve year old to do here. Check the "Things to Do" list up top.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 00:01
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

Broaden your horizons and you will broaden his. There is no telling what a 12 year old will like and/or be good at until they try it. How about some skeet shooting, or one of our indoor shooting ranges where he can learn safety (a lifelong asset) and learn target shooting. It's a blast! What about a fencing lesson? Who knows, he might be a future Olympian. The list is really endless if you think outside the box.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

In answer to your question, yes, a 12 year old can ride the mechanical bull at Rawhide. The requirements for all riders is that they must be at least 48 inches tall, and under 200 pounds. And in Cave Creek at the Wild West Days, apparently kids as young as 6 can ride the mechanical bull. (Skip to photo 13):

azcentral.com/photo/…636238

The bull operators simply make the ride much, much tamer for the kids.

Kimrv, it's up to you if you want to go to Rawhide just for the bull. If that's all you're going for, then I say skip it. Rawhide is definitely a bit cheesy, and can be expensive if you pay for all the shows and attractions. If your son wants to ride an actual horse, one of the best places is Fort McDowell Adventures, which is east of Phoenix and offers trail rides through some really beautiful scenery. There's also Cave Creek Outfitters, near the town of Cave Creek. If you go to Outfitters, do spend some time in Cave Creek, which is a fun place to explore. They have live bull riding that your son can watch at the Buffalo Chip Saloon, as well as live bull riding, barrel racing, team penning, and other rodeo type events at Hogs n Horses.

fortmcdowelladventures.com/create-your-adven…

http://www.cavecreekoutfitters.com/

cavecreeklive.com/hogs-n-horses-cave-creek

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

Since you are coming from San Diego, i think you will find our zoo pretty tame compared to yours...if your son wants thrills, something unique to AZ is a Pink Jeep ride over the red rocks and hills of Sedona. I would skip the science museum and zoo and make a day trip to Sedona, it's about an hour and a half each way and it will be an awesome memory.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

It's two hours or more to Sedona and there's no reason to drive all the way up there for a jeep tour when they have them in the valley. The Phoenix Zoo is very different from the SD Zoo and is equally renowned in the world. Some people "collect" zoos and at ours they will see things they won't see elsewhere in a very natural setting. Also if the kid wants to see the Science museum I see no reason to try to talk him out of it. It's really a showcase downtown along with the Heard Museum of Indian Art. He might also like the Phoenix Police Museum which is a quick but interesting tour.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 03:18
San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

Thank you all, really appreciate all your great suggestions and input!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

www.pinkjeeptours.com, click on Sedona tab, at the bottom of the page is a videos click....decide for yourself :)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

I am fairly certain that the Saddle Ranch Chop House in Glendale, AZ ( the Westgate Center near the Jobing.com arena) allows kids to ride their mechanical bull. I was there for breakfast not long ago and really recall kids on it.

Maybe call them ?

9. Re: 12 year old boy in Phoenix wants mechanical bull ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21