We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner

We are bringing my 80 year old parents to Phoenix for the first time. We are coming from cold winter weather and would like to eat outside our first evening while visiting my son. We are looking at Lons, El Chorro and Olive and Ivy. Lons looks rather expensive but nice. How would the other two compare. We want to sit outside, have a drink, talk and have a lovely view along with a nice meal. My husband and I ate at Element and loved it but for a bigger party is it pretty pricey.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner

I guess it depends on what kind of view you seek. For a startling view of all the big buildings lit up down Central in a cozy terrace setting with absolutely great food at great prices, I suggest you look at Alexi's on Central Ave. The waiters are very attentive to all ages, and they will cook anything you ask for. Something different than what you pictured but your folks will love it.

http://www.alexisgrillphx.com/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31310-d33…

Edited: 17 February 2014, 18:10
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner

El Chorro has a great patio view and sits between the two mountain chains- so you'd be looking up toward the same mountain you at at Elements. This would probably be my pick for what you are looking for. Out of town guests are typically pretty impressed with El Chorro and his has local food as well.

Olive and Ivy is the most casual of the choices you offered and has a beautiful patio, but is in more of a downtown area and doesn't have as much of a mountain view.

Lons is great food, food views, nice patio, but you are correct in that it would be the more expensive option.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner

Awesome - that is exactly what I needed to know. We are in the middle of another blizzard in Iowa so I have a feeling anything will be a treat compared to this! Thanks so much.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner

It should be noted that most long time residents agree that the quality of meals and service at El Chorro has decidedly gone down hill since the new owners took over.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner

We will keep that in mind. What would be the next best option if we decided not to go to El Chorro?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner

Another one to throw in the mix of options might be Chelsea's Kitchen- it's one of my favorite patios and it's not overly pricey.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner

What about the patio at Aunt Chilada's for Mexican in a very festive atmosphere? Very reasonable prices.

We don't know exactly what kind of food you want, but for a good time and a cowboy steak with a heart stopping view of the city you might consider Rustler's Rooste.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 19:07
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner

El Chorro would be my choice or Lon's..excellent service and settings are stunning, food is good both places, with Lon's on top I think. Aunt Chiladas is a great place as well, very casual but has a pretty garden patio. Olive and Ivy would too noisy for my elderly parents. If El Chorro is too pricey for group dinner, look at their Happy Hour, it's my favorite in town and you can sit on the patio. The place is quite popular when I am there...Yes, it's a different place with new ownership but it's still a charming tradition in the valley, delicious food and the service is always incredibly gracious.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 19:22
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner

My 70+ year-old in-laws enjoyed Chelsea's Kitchen more than Lon's or El Chorro. There's not really anything wrong with the others, but the food and service is better at Chelsea's Kitchen. If you want a view more than food and/or service, go somewhere north of the city, or up to Ettiene's at Tapatio Peak.

10. Re: Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:16