We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do you think I might end up?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
316 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where do you think I might end up?

I'm thinking about doing one of the Hotwire or Expedia "secret hotels" for our Phoenix stay, just for a day or two to get some for sure pool time. (where we are staying-with relatives-does not have a pool) There are some out there for 100-150 a night that say "normally 300/night, 50% off-and some that say "resort". There are 2 that are in Tempe and one of them says "resort". Any ideas what resort that might be? There is also one in Old Town Scottsdale for 129 that says resort, thoughts?

If anyone has done this, when it says resort and I am picking 4 stars, I am going to be fairly happy, right? (I mean, I am perfectly fine with Hilton, etc...I don't need the Phoenician) Anyway, just hoping for some advice and some good deals, thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

Might look at this site.

http://www.betterbidding.com/

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

I don't use Hotwire, I use Priceline, so I've no idea which hotels might show up with Hotwire. I do know that if you use Priceline and bid on AT LEAST 4 star, and choose ONLY North Phoenix (area #14), you almost always get either the Pointe Hilton Tapatio, or the Pointe HIlton Squaw Peak. Both resorts have great swimming pools and slides; Squaw Peak has a River Ranch "water park" with a small but fun lazy river. If you stay at Tapatio, you also have access to the River Ranch pools, and there's a free shuttle that runs between the resorts. (The only time you can't use the River Ranch as a Tapatio guest, is if they're super busy and crowded. Weekdays are less crowded.) In April, you should be able to get a great deal on one of those resorts, if you bid.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 05:57
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

The Clarendon would be the only downtown Phx hotel that is a little off the grid, its a great hotel, but not as much walking distance as the others for Phoenix. It really depends on the area you want, I've done well w priceline, but havent' used it in years.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

You will likely end up at the hotel/resort with the lowest price in a given lot.

No way of telling which one it will be. As Metro-Phoenix is 500+ square miles, you could also end up quite far from any attractions.

With a "secret hotel," you are at their mercy, and sometimes, the criteria are rather lax. You will get a hotel/resort with the amenities specified, but it could be anywhere in Phoenix. Might be in Tempe, Mesa, Goodyear, Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale, or maybe even down to Casa Grande, depending on how THEY categorize "Phoenix."

Good luck,

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

Bill, do you use Priceline or Hotwire to bid on hotels? If you haven't ever used it, they have features that allow you to narrow down and choose your area and your star criteria when you bid, so you aren't "at their mercy". And with some areas, it's actually easy to tell which hotels you might get, especially if you bid on the higher rated ones. Priceline has at least 14 different bidding areas, and their map shows you the exact range/area where the hotel would be located. (it doesn't give an address, though, just the range.)

Websites like betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com are also helpful, as travelers post which hotel they won, along with the area, star rating, date, and price they paid. All of this is very helpful in determining which hotel you might get. Now, if someone bids a low price for a 2 star hotel for the ENTIRE Phoenix area, yes, they'll probably get the bottom of the barrel, and perhaps in an undesirable location. But if you bid via Priceline on a 4 star hotel in North Phoenix or Scottsdale, you'll always get a nice hotel or resort.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:17
6. Re: Where do you think I might end up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:24