We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Hempstead, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Good Evening,

I am planning to come to the AZ memorial weekend and was thinking of staying in Phoenix. I have a couple of questions:

1. How far is the drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon?

2. If I do stay in Phoenix do you recommend I rent a car and drive or pay for a tour?

3. Any good hotel recommendations in Phoenix is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any help is appreciated.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Phx to the GC is about 4 hours, depending on where you start. Rent a car, you don't need a tour. The best thing to do is stay overnight inside the GC Natl Park, though. As for hotels - Metro Phx is huge, and includes Scottsdale and other cities. Where do you think you want to be, and what's your per night budget? Do you want a resort, or a budget hotel? Also, keep in mind that it will be very hot in Phoenix at the end of May.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

HB said it well. It's a 4 hour drive from PHX to GCNP. It's a really long day trip. Better to do on your own than a guided tour though. Best if you stay over night at the park. Don't be surprised if the park is fully booked already, but it's worth phoning to try to score a room. 888-297-2757. Call every day. As a back up you could stay at Tusayan, or Cameron TP or Flagstaff or even Sedona.

Hempstead, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

I would like to be in an area around restaurants and shops. I was thinking the JW Marriott Desert Ridge because they have complimentary transpiration to the town and they have Hertz in the hotel so I can rent a car for a day.

Hempstead, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Thank you all for helping me.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

I was just at an event last week at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge.

It is a hike from most of town! Yes, they do provide a shuttle to the Desert Ridge shops. Normally that would be about a 15 min walk, but as stated, late May will be rather warm...

If all hotels at the Grand Canyon are full, I'd at least stay in Flagstaff overnight (at minimum). A couple of years ago, I drove my Mom up to the Grand Canyon, we had lunch at the El Tovar. Then we explored a little (we had both been before), then drove down and stayed in Flagstaff. The next morning, we took the back way down to Sedona, through Cottonwood and Jerome, to Prescott. It was nice to just stop along the way, take some quick photos, have a coffee (great coffee shops in Jerome!), eat, etc.

I have done the Grand Canyon as a daytrip, twice, and I do not recommend it.

Hempstead, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Thank you. Did you find the hotel to be nice?

I will look into staying a night in Sedona. However we love long drives and day trips but if its really too much we will reconsider.

Hempstead, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Hi

Thank you. What did you think about tge hotel???

Corona, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Did a weekender from SoCal to Grand Canyon weekend of 4/10-4/12. Rented car at Sky Harbor - new system of offsite rental center is very time consuming and frustrating - get luggage, get on what seems to be 15 minute shuttle ride to rental center where you find long lines before finally getting your car (unless you have a frequent flier account for car rentals). We stayed overnight in Flagstaff - was a two-hour drive from Phoenix over two-lane road - not extremely difficult but certainly not a wide-open freeway drive. From Flagstaff, 90 minute drive to Grand Canyon South Rim area. We did one day at GC and then one day in Sedona (30 miles south of Flagstaff). Grand Canyon truly spectacular - Sedona red rock country pretty nice as well.

9. Re: Phoenix to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:16