We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

Looking for a good flavorful, spicy Mexican restaurant in the Deer Valley or otherwise north Phoenix area. Also looking for somewhere good to go for drinks afterwards. Doesn't necessarily need to be the same place. Would love a craft cocktail place like R+D in Old Town, but need to stay in the north Phoenix area. Price is not a concern for either if it's worth it.

Any recommendations?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

In that general area, I like Valle Luna at 35th Ave. & Bell or PoPo's at 59th Ave & Bell.

http://www.valleluna.com/

http://www.poposmexicanfood.com/

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

Loooove Citizens R&D. In the Deer Valley area....it's mostly sports bars/pubs.

If you would venture out a little more there are some options. At City North there's a Modern Margarita you could have dinner at and after dinner options of La Bocca or Blue Martini?

If you wanted to venture a little south instead, around the area of 7th St & Dunlap there's a cool place called The Lounge with one of my favorite bartenders in town - Chris. There's also a wine bar near there called Timo.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

I agree with all of the above suggestions. For Mexican, there's also Macayo's at 19th Ave and Thunderbird. And yeah, there aren't really any "upscale" bars in that area. Try msu_gal's suggestions instead.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

7th Street and Dunlap is not exactly what I would call upscale. In fact it is only a few blocks from one of the largest meth user concentrations in the city. I would avoid it unless I was a trauma patient at John C. Lincoln Hospital.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

Ugy, I'm pretty sure msu_gal was suggesting the OP get a drink INSIDE either The Lounge or Timo, and not standing on the corner of 7th Street and Dunlap. I can understand your confusion, though. I suggest you go to both places before you comment further. Unless of course, you have an actual suggestion of a bar that's similar to R&D, located in the Deer Valley area.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

I suggest you risk walking from your car alone at night to either bar. Or go around the corner one block to the Circle K and check out who walks in and out of there, and who is using the pay phone. You will find more tattoos than teeth on some of these characters. This is, in general, a VERY bad neighborhood and has been for decades. Anyone who really know this towns knows this and will avoid this area after dark at all costs. You do not want to have your car break down there. Just a word to the wise. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

I go there frequently, and have always been just fine. Was there yesterday, in fact. No worries! In all seriousness, ugyved, maybe you should try some new places. You might even find that you like some of them! ;)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

In all seriousness, and I DO mean this seriously, that is a very high crime area. I try to avoid dancing with the devil. People will say, "I go there all the time." And then you read about them in the newspaper. Have you stepped a block or two off from the places you are drinking? Really? And of course there are heightened patrols in that area looking for people coming from bars. After all the high end places you have recommended to say this is a great area to drink is just beyond me.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

I live in the central corridor and I have walked or biked home from Spokes & Wheels, Via de los Santos, Timo's and Corbin's bunch of times and never had a problem. Along the way, I also stopped in and admired the luxury patio homes they are building in the area.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican food / good drinks in Deer Valley / north Phx area?

He asked for something like Citizen's R&D. The atmosphere at The Lounge is very similar- chill, classy lounge, where you can have a seat and good drink. And who doesn't love Magic 8 balls on the tables? that's just good fun! And Chris could rival their bartenders at making a very good cocktail.

And.....The OP is from Tempe.....not exactly a tourist.... And he's a guy...I'm pretty sure he can safely walk to his car at night....

Phoenix has a lot of very blended areas, it's not going to stop me from exploring them.