We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Harbor Car Rental

Toronto
Level Contributor
132 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Harbor Car Rental

Renting car in August from Sky Harbor Airport and dropping it offf one week later in Vegas at Mccarren Airport.2 adults and 3 teenagers travelling together.I booked with Fox car Rentals but have read a lot of negative reviews about this company.Is this all true or do you just here the negative comments online.I'm thinking of switching to Hertz and joining their Gold Club for free for possible better service.Fox is $207 and Hertz is $415 for a full sized car.Why such a difference?Any help appreciated.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Reviews for Fox are typically very bad and it's not recommended to use. Try one of the major national brands like Hertz. There is good reason why Fox is so much cheaper.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

And just because it is cheaper initially, it doesn't mean that you won't end up paying close to what Hertz is charging when all said and done.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,769 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Ask Hertz if the rental estimate includes a one-way fee. Check other major rental firms as one may not charge extra for a one-way rental.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Read as many of these threads as you can stomach before you decide to switch to Hertz, Avis of someone else. I have heard that if you are from out of the US you don't have to pay a one way drop off fee. You might want to check that out.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,418 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Coming from out of the USA isn't a guaranty of skipping relocation fees. Reports are that brokers from Europe and AUS cooperate with US agencies and fees are often waived while proper insurance coverages are provided. Not sure about Canada though.

As for Fox, they have a terrible reputation around AZ. Poor service, deceptive marketing and fees, and lousy inventory are common complaints. The best advice you'll find around PHX is to rent from the major companies and shop carefully for rates and fees including one way relocation to LV. Quotes will vary from day to day. Book the best you find and then keep shopping. You might still find a better deal. But I would avoid Fox.

Toronto
Level Contributor
132 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Thanks, I cancelled Fox and booked Hertz

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
599 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

You have done the right thing.

We always use Hertz as husband is Gold Card member which certainly makes for a hassle free quick get away. Gold Card is the way to go as it has it's own office. Any problems are quickly sorted as it's usually very quiet and empty in there compared to the general office which can be a bit of a free for all! We fly into LAX from Heathrow and out of Phoenix as the flight and car rental is cheaper picking up from LAX. We fly back from Phoenix and drop the car off there as well. Booking from the UK with Hertz very straight forward with no one way drop off fee and was cheaper then picking up from Sky Harbor. In fact it was cheaper this year then last year!

Sorry, have no idea if this applies to Canada as well but you should be happy with the service Hertz supplies.

Toronto
Level Contributor
132 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Thanks,Your first rental with Hertz cannot be used as Gold status even if you sign up online before hand.I'm not sure why.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,418 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

Signing up on line ahead of time will still save you time and hassles. Even without the Gold designation.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
843 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sky Harbor Car Rental

You can use Gold the first time you rent after signing up with Hertz--I have!

They won't have the car assigned to your name though. You should see your name on the board, with, "**," where the other names have spaces. That means to see the Gold booth. They need to verify ID/credit card (which takes maybe a minute), then they tell you which space your car is in.

Still far faster than the non-gold line.