We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Bowl Accommodations

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Super Bowl Accommodations

My sister in law was able to snag Super Bowl tix for my husband and brother in law. (Shhhh, top secret!). Unfortunately our Phoenix connections are moving to Hawaii (well, unfortunate for *us*), so now we are looking into hotels.

Any recommendations decently close to the stadium? We can rent a car if needed. Reasonably-priced would be preferred over luxury. :) They will likely be arriving on Friday Jan 30th and leaving on Monday Feb 2nd.

Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

This forum has recently gone through a rather inane furor on this subject. Ironically, it was Canadians coming down for a Cardinal football game and seeking advice on hotels. Those Canadians have probably decided to skip the game. So here we go again.

There are a number of hotels right near the stadium and within walking distance. University of Phoenix Stadium is on the far west side of the Phoenix area. You will need a car to get there no matter what. On the previous query I suggested looking at the hotels near the stadium. They and the stadium are in a complex with the hockey arena and the Westgate shopping center, which has a variety of restaurants and bars. They are all in the City of Glendale.

The furor was over whether staying in Glendale had any merit. Frankly as a 40-year resident of the Phoenix area. I see nothing wrong with it. I might add I am a 30-year resident of Scottsdale and the east side, which the contrarians were advocating.

If you have a car and stay near the stadium, you can come over here to the east side and look around. But walk to the game and avoid the traffic jams. That is what I recommend. But take your pick. Good luck.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Here is the big thing often overlooked. If you are attending a "World Class Event" such as a heavy weight boxing championship, NBA All Star game or a Super Bowl, there are many things going on for days right at the site. It is not like just going to a Cardinals game. Staying by the stadium has huge benefits over driving 45-60 minutes across the valley just for the game. You will miss out on all the surrounding excitement. Mingle with the rich and famous as promoters give out goodies to you. Come back some other time to see the east alley. I am confident you will want to return. As someone who has actually been here longer than abigguy, I can tell you he knows his beans. Listen to what he has to say.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:31
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

In addition to any events near U of Phoenix Stadium the NFL Experience will be held in downtown Phoenix and, once again, ESPN will broadcast live from downtown Scottsdale during the week. You will want to rent a car to take in everything Super Bowl during the weekend. The Phoenix Open is also that weekend - so much to see and do!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Oh dear, and here I am, yet another Canuck stirring up trouble! Ha! (Ironically, I had searched the forum to see if the topic had come up previously but had specifically searched for Super Bowl... should have searched for the stadium. Rookie.)

I think we will rent them a car either way, but great to know about the surrounding events. I had no idea anything else happens on Super Bowl weekend, but it makes complete sense given the asinine coverage of the event. :) I am not totally football clueless, thanks to the hubby, but am definitely not "in the know". (And it's not like I can ask him since this is a huge surprise!). I was actually going to ask about what they should do on the Saturday, but it sounds like there will be enough without planning additional things. I know my husband has been to the Grand Canyon before, the four corners, etc. and we plan to visit in a few years once our kids are out of diapers, so that's not a priority this trip (especially not with such a limited time frame).

Will look at the hotels near the stadium. I'm sure walkable will be appreciated so they don't have to fight the pre- and post- game traffic.

Any other tips or advice for the weekend is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Try these:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31231-Glendale_Arizo…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31308-Peoria_Arizona…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31373-Surprise_Arizo…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Dang, the nearby hotels are already showing as unavailable. :(

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

The vast majority of visitors for the last Super Bowl stayed in Tempe and Scottsdale. So much so, that the businesses in Glendale threw a fit that they were left out of the money.

People vote with their dollars, and do it with good reason.

Take your pick: Glendale, Tempe, or Scottsdale.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Also, it was not a Canadian but rather a visitor from New Zealand that catalyzed the most recent discussion on where to stay for NFL games:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31310-i140-k75088…

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

People go to Tempe and Scottsdale because those are the places constantly promoted with advertising dollars and on sites such as this one. Peoria and Glendale have just as much to offer, especially during an event such as this. As far as "voting" with dollars, why are the hotels nearby filling up already? As abigguy pointed out, the drive from Tempe and Scottsdale will be horrendous. Better to get a place close by, even if you have to drive a couple of miles, rather than deal with the in and out on the freeways to drive all the way across the valley. The action is all going to be live, right by the stadium all weekend long. Or you can watch it on TV across town. You pick.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 12 June 2014, 18:32
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Bowl Accommodations

Game week activities, none of which are in Glendale:

A new feature since Arizona last hosted a Super Bowl in 2008, Super Bowl Central will feature live performances by national recording artists and local musical talent, community groups and schools, football themed activities, and beer and wine gardens. Activities will cover 5th Street to First Avenue and Jefferson Street to Monroe Street.

The NFL Experience is a separate festive football-oriented daytime event with kids’ football clinics, interactive football games and autograph sessions. It will take place at the Phoenix Convention Center.

NFL House, a VIP hospitality headquarters, will be located at CityScape.

NFL Media Center will be located at the Phoenix Convention Center.

NFL Headquarters will be at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix.