We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lay over with US Airways

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lay over with US Airways

Just looking for some information on our layover. Can anyone explain the procedure for us getting off the plane coming from Cancun, picking up our bags going through customs and immigration etc. I have been looking at the map and it seems that the immigration is in the same area?

Our tickets are all purchased from US Airways. Vanouver BC 815 am to Phoenix 12:17 pm short lay over of 1 hr 13 mins before flying out to Cancun at 1:10pm. This leg I understand we will clear US customs at YVR so we will not have to get our checked bags they will go directly on to Cancun. We will just need to switch planes.

On the way back we will have 1 hr 30 mins lay over in Phoenix before heading back to Vancouver. This is the part that I want to make sure I understand correctly. I am assuming it will work just as it does flying into Seattle.

We will de plane, go through customs, then collect our checked bags walk them over to re check them before going through security and then head to the gate for our next flight?

Hoping to not have a huge amount of people doing the same it will be a Friday night 2nd week of December

Thank you

tlc

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lay over with US Airways

I believe you are correct, but the best and most accurate answer comes from the airline. You should call them and ask.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lay over with US Airways

The only inaccuracy in your understanding is that you will collect your bags before you clear customs but after you clear passport control. You will take your bags through customs and there should be a baggage collection desk immediately after exiting customs. You will recheck your bags, clear security again and be on your way. With a connection, make sure you are seated near the front of the plane from Cancun to PHX. You will get off the flight faster and get in line for passport control sooner.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lay over with US Airways

This seems a little unclear. You have checked your bags from Cancun to BC. Why do you have to collect them and clear customs? If you don't leave the international terminal you are simply in transit and not entering the US. You should be able to just walk from one gate to the next and board the plane after showing tickets and ID.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lay over with US Airways

@Ugyved, as a rule, American airports don't have international transit areas or recognize that status. I believe all passengers arriving on international flights are required to clear immigration and customs at port of entry, regardless of their ultimate destination.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,568 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lay over with US Airways

DetTigerFan,

I believe that you are correct in nearly every instance. There are a few non-US airports, that allow for pre-clearance of both US Immigration and Customs, but not many. I do not think that Cancun is one. Seems that Dublin is one, plus maybe a few in Canada???

We have never encountered a "transit area" at any US airport, coming from UK, Europe, Asia or Oceaniana - we always have to clear US Immigration and Customs at the point-of-arrival to the US.

Hunt

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lay over with US Airways

Well, I just got done with a delightful one hour conversation with Chief West of Customs at Sky Harbor. He is the go to guy for any of your customs and immigration needs there. Since he inspects that flight every day, he told me he could probably tell me what t-shirt you will be wearing and what your shoe size is.

He says that flight is just about the easiest of all the international flights out of Sky Harbor (I love saying that name). Apparently you get your bags, go through the line, turn and hand them to the airline rep and then go out to the concourse, buy a souvenir, grab a taco and a couple of drinks and you will still have plenty of time to go through the TSA check which usually only runs about 5 minutes. Easy. Even if you are sunburned, covered in sand and hung over they will get you to your gate very quickly.

Happy Trails!!!

7. Re: Lay over with US Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:16