We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Scottsdale or Sedona in June

My husband and I are planning a week (or so) long trip to Arizona at the beginning of June '08. I am trying to decide if we should go to Scottsdale or Sedona. Both seem to offer great things, so I am having a hard time deciding. Which one would be easiest to do Grand Canyon, scenery, etc? Thanks for your help in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Well, we're just back from Sedona and Scottsdale. Even in november it was 86F in Scottsdale which was great for a stay that time of year. In summer it will be terribly hot. Very nice old town Scottsdale with lots of shops and a free trolley. Some interesting things in the area like Heard Museum (in Phoenix), Botanical Garden and also some great drives around like Apache Trail.

Sedona is all about scenery. Fabulous red rocks and also nice for shopping. Although we loved our Scottsdale stay my vote would be for Sedona. Much closer to Grand Canyon and many daytrips around Sedona. For GC, try to stay at least one night at the rim, better 2 and make reservations far in advance. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Paradise Valley...
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
588 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

I would agree with the previous post except if you can do both I recommend that instead. Scottsdale will be hot hot hot in June but its more of a city nightlife more restaurants,shopping,etc. Sedona is something not to be missed if you are in AZ as is the GC and possibly enjoying Flagstaff while your there. There is plenty of tourism sights to see in Northern AZ . It really depends on what you are looking for and how much the desert heat will bother you. Are you hikers and outdoorsy people? Flagstaff,GC, and Sedona all have great trails to hike around and see some beautiful landscape,creeks,lakes etc. If you need anymore help in your planning for food or hotels I'd be glad to help. I have lived in AZ all my life as well as going to college in Flagstaff. So I am familiar with both areas you are questioning. Enjoy your trip as well as planning it. Thats half the fun :)

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
USA
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Do both. Its only 90 min drive Scottsdale to Sedona, and they are both great towns in different ways.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

I agree, do both. You can make it a leisurely drive without interstates by driving from Sedona to Camp Verde, then to Strawberry, Pine and Payson (260/87) and south to Scottsdale on 87. A lovely drive!

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

I'd do both but I'd caveat the 260/87 drive as very winding, 2-way road (modern highway though) and can be laborious in the hot weather (overheating cars etc) so eventhough I dont like to recommend I-17 (up through the middle from Phx to Sedona, it can same some time and driving pains (especially when there's traffic) I-17 can be just as bad, especially with Anthem growing so fast etc.

Sedona is very touristy so assume every store is going to have the same tsotcke but you will find some nice treasures. I'd recommend a pink jeep our red rock jeep tour. We did one in Jan and it was fun.

Sedona is outdoors and Scottsdale is shopping (nice indoor upscale air conditioned shopping) although there are some jeep tours, horsebackriding (am/pm) and hot air balloon rides that you can do.

Are you sure you have to go in June?!?! :)

Enjoy (Native Phoenician now in Germany)

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Germany
Germany
Europe
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Well Jen, you live a lot closer to us (some 80miles) now and I hope you like Dusseldorf. You're not that far from Eifel/Ardennes which has a lot more winding roads. Actually 2 weeks ago we did the drive on 260/87 (but went to Apache Trail from 87). 260 is 55mph and very quiet and the last thing we experienced was driving pain. It was awesome. From wide open spaces to the forests and next time we will make Strawberry our location for the night. Yes there are some winding parts eventually descending to Scottsdale but nothing to worry about and with a normal car not much chance on overheating. The road is wide and in excellent condition. And there is a bonus if you visit Tonto Natural Bridge SP as we did (the steepest and windiest part is in this SP). I highly recommend this route but you'll save time driving the interstate.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
The Ardennes
The Ardennes
Wallonia, Belgium
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Tet- we're closer to Monchengladbach than Dusseldorf but most people relate better to Duss.

If I opt to drive 260/87, I'd may as well go to Payson, Holbrook, Greer, Alpine, Petrified Forest, and the White Mountains, even Navajo Nation than Sedona and enjoy prettier scenery and nicer people.

OP- do something few do when they go to AZ- go to the Navajo Nation, Canyon de Chelly and enjoy a great cultural experience http://discovernavajo.com/.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
The Canyon
The Canyon
6 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

been to scottsdale twice - it is nice, no question

also been to sedona - its better, no question

BUT ive been to the grand canyon 4 times why not stay there a few days travelling up from sedona is possible but the best times to see the canyon are sunset and sunrise so its far more convenient to stay in the park

if its not already too late book a '3 bears' cabin

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

@Jen: Monchengladbach is even closer. Are you a green/white fan already?

@Beeble: Very true. OP might try to stay at least 2 nights at the rim.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scottsdale or Sedona in June

Not sure what a green/white fan is but if it has to do with 'footie' than we dont watch that. We only watch American football on AFN.

I like being on the German economy versus if we were stationed in Kaisernslautern. The Brits are ok, too.

Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale